Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

]Trump Admin Is Considering Using Amazon Echo And Apple Watch To Determine If Ci

(Read 810 times)

M1A_All_Day

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Firewood Hoarder
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Trump Admin Is Considering Using Amazon Echo And Apple Watch To Determine If Citizens Should Own A Gun
CHRIS WHITE - TECH REPORTER
August 22, 2019 3:39 PM ET

The Trump administration is considering a proposal that would use Google, Amazon and Apple to collect data on users who exhibit characteristics of mental illness that could lead to violent behavior, The Washington Post reported Thursday.

The proposal is part of an initiative to create a Health Advanced Research Projects Agency (HARPA), which would be located inside the Health and Human Services Department, the report notes, citing sources inside the administration. The new agency would have a separate budget and the president would be responsible for appointing its director.

HARPA would take after Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, which serves as the research arm for the Pentagon. The idea was first crafted in 2017 but has since gotten a renewed push after mass shootings killed 31 people in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, in August.

The Suzanne Wright Foundation approached the president recently and proposed the agency include a project called Stopping Aberrant Fatal Events by Helping Overcome Mental Extremes, or Safe Home, the report notes, citing two people familiar with the matter.

President Donald Trump has a close relationship with Bob Wright, who founded the foundation after his wife died of cancer. Wright was a former chair of NBC and occupied that position while the president hosted “The Apprentice.” (RELATED: 20 People Dead After El Paso Shooting, Governor Says)

HARPA would develop “breakthrough technologies with high specificity and sensitivity for early diagnosis of neuropsychiatric violence,” according to a copy of the proposal. “A multi-modality solution, along with real-time data analytics, is needed to achieve such an accurate diagnosis.”

The document lists several technologies that could be employed to help collect information, including Apple Watches, Amazon Echo and Google Home. Geoffrey Ling, the lead scientific adviser on HARPA, told reporters Thursday the plan would require enormous amounts of data and “scientific rigor.”

He added: “Everybody would be a volunteer. We’re not inventing new science here. We’re analyzing it so we can develop new approaches.” The White House declined to provide the Daily Caller News Foundation with a statement but sources told WaPo that Trump has reacted “very positively” to the proposal — it is unclear if he has seen the Safe Home idea.

Google and Amazon have also not responded to the DCNF’s requests for comment.

Trump said mentally ill people are responsible for the uptick in mass shootings. “I do want people to remember the words ‘mental illness.’ These people are mentally ill. … I think we have to start building institutions again because, you know, if you look at the ’60s and ’70s, so many of these institutions were closed,” he said on Aug. 15. The president has also floated the possibility of supporting background checks.

The president has an icy relationship with both Google and Amazon. Trump told his Twitter followers Monday that Google manipulated votes to help former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton ahead of the 2016 presidential election. “My victory was even bigger than thought!” he added. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos has long been a whipping boy for the president.

imahangtia

• Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
"Hey look over here at this shiny object!"

RevlimiterRuss

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.”
~George Washington

sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
LOL that people think Trump or any non Progressive President would seriously consider this. This violates more than one element of the Bill of Rights. So much so that even progressives on the court would be leery of suggesting such thoughts to be constitutional.
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

M1A_All_Day

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Firewood Hoarder
True, HARPA doesn’t even exist yet- but DARPA does. DARPANet (later ARPANet) was the earliest from of the Internet as we know it today, developed for decentralized communications in the event of nuclear war. When it was rendered obsolete, they have it to universities to use for sharing research data in XML format. Universities then started using it for other purposes in the early 90s.

There’s nothing about the current very Orwellian state of affairs that would make me think this type of passive/active listening to validate or score one’s mental state is far-fetched. The technology is already there, the connectivity is already there, just pesky laws in the way.

The possibilities go way beyond validating ones mental health- active listening for preemptively getting to violent crimes and medical emergencies, school systems would love to know what kind of parenting occurs in your home,  and most of all- how to sell you more stuff!

Again, the tech, connectivity, and analytics capability is all there- it’s just the thin wall of law in the way. And this is just VOICE. We’re not even talking about involving biometrics, psycho-demographics, or how all of that distilled into leading indicators for things your government (and business) wants to know about.

Harry

• I am a newbie. :-)
How do we know if they are not already doing it?

Glock84

• PROTECT the 2nd!
If they are already using this tech and we are still seeing mass murders etc i'd say it isn't working out very well.

BerettaBoy213

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • revolverholic
If they are already using this tech and we are still seeing mass murders etc i'd say it isn't working out very well.

it's not designed to work well, or solve the problem it was allegedly design to address. it is security theater. it is designed to give reasons why more such measures are needed, so the tightening cycle on civil liberties can continue.

BigBluefish

• PROTECT the 2nd!
All my lights still have manual switches and I wear as Seiko diver, so, I guess I'm safe.

Though why my toaster over keeps talking in the middle of the night, I have no idea.

imahangtia

• Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
Anyone who carries a phone with the battery not removed or physically disconnected, has something like an Echo thing, uses GPS instead of paper maps, internet enabled appliances, internet enabled cars, microphone or cameras in their computers,  etc, etc....  should never wave the liberty flag.
Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:55:52 PM by imahangtia

Flatulence

• Highly Active Member
  • FCFAA
Anyone who carries a phone with the battery not removed or physically disconnected, has something like an Echo thing, uses GPS instead of paper maps, internet enabled appliances, internet enabled cars, microphone or cameras in their computers,  etc, etc....  should never wave the liberty flag.

Don't hate on GPS, it is not 2 way.
Fairfield County Firearms & Archery LLC 01, 07, 08 FFL
4 New Canaan Ave Norwalk CT 06851
203 354 0616