Like & Follow us on :

JUST IN FROM THE CT STATE POLICE 7/9/19 14:15

(Read 1345 times)

sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you are purchasing or otherwise receiving a handgun from a resident of another state you must ensure that the person has a CT pistol permit or Handgun Eligibility Certificate, along with obtaining an authorization number and submitting a DPS-3.   Not following these procedures is a violation of state law and may result in criminal liability. 
Know I'm late to the party on this discussion but this part seems poorly written, either that or my meds are interfering with my comprehension/reading skills.  ;D

Are they saying the person selling or transferring the handgun into CT must have a pistol permit/handgun EC? If so how is that legal? Don't recall anything offhand in the statutes that mandate such a thing.

If DESPP/SLFU is going to mandate the out of state seller have a valid CT pistol permit or handgun EC I see it as a way to drastically cut off the ability to buy handguns from outside of CT. It appears one would have to transfer the gun to an out of state FFL first to get it on that FFL's books. Then the gun gets transferred to a CT FFL to get it on the CT FFL's books. Or I'm reading this all wrong.
Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:31:22 AM by sbhaven
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
Know I'm late to the party on this discussion but this part seems poorly written, either that or my meds are interfering with my comprehension/reading skills.  ;D

Are they saying the person selling or transferring the handgun into CT must have a pistol permit/handgun EC? If so how is that legal? Don't recall anything offhand in the statutes that mandate such a thing.

If DESPP/SLFU is going to mandate the out of state seller have a valid CT pistol permit or handgun EC I see it as a way to drastically cut off the ability to buy handguns from outside of CT. It appears one would have to transfer the gun to an out of state FFL first to get it on that FFL's books. Then the gun gets transferred to a CT FFL to get it on the CT FFL's books. Or I'm reading this all wrong.
  Poorly written is a good description.  Nothing has changed. This will only effect people who are visiting CT or passing through to some other state.  But then again if you are visiting CT you will need a pistol permit or Handgun Eligibility Certificate in any event. So it really only effects people passing through the state on their way somewhere else. If that out of state seller stays home and ships the gun to the CT dealer nothing has changed.  I have posted the section of the law below.

Sec. 29-38d. Interstate transportation of firearms through state.

(a) The provisions of sections 29-35 and 29-38 shall not apply to the interstate transportation of firearms through this state in accordance with 18 USC 926A and 927, as amended from time to time, by any person who is not otherwise prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing a firearm. Such person may transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm through this state to any other place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm provided such transportation is in accordance with subsection (b) of this section.

(b) During the transportation of a firearm through this state as authorized in subsection (a) of this section, such firearm shall be unloaded and neither such firearm nor any ammunition being transported shall be readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such firearm shall be unloaded and such firearm and any ammunition being transported shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(c) No person who is transporting a firearm through this state in accordance with this section may use or carry such firearm or sell, deliver or otherwise transfer such firearm while in this state.

imahangtia

• Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
...... Or I'm reading this all wrong.

There are medications that can cause this  :evil:

sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
  Poorly written is a good description.  Nothing has changed. This will only effect people who are visiting CT or passing through to some other state.  But then again if you are visiting CT you will need a pistol permit or Handgun Eligibility Certificate in any event. So it really only effects people passing through the state on their way somewhere else. If that out of state seller stays home and ships the gun to the CT dealer nothing has changed.  I have posted the section of the law below.
I thought people from out of state who didn't have the relevant ct permit(s) could drive to a CT FFL and do a transfer/sale to a CT resident who has the proper permits. I take it this is no longer the case? That anyone who isn't doing interstate transport, but is driving to a CT FFL would need to have a relevant CT permit for the handgun even though they are selling/transferring the handgun. If so that sucks for those who were going to take handguns off of friends/family legally by having them drive into CT to a FFL to do the transfer. Whole thing is as expected a fracking mess.
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
I thought people from out of state who didn't have the relevant ct permit(s) could drive to a CT FFL and do a transfer/sale to a CT resident who has the proper permits. I take it this is no longer the case? That anyone who isn't doing interstate transport, but is driving to a CT FFL would need to have a relevant CT permit for the handgun even though they are selling/transferring the handgun. If so that sucks for those who were going to take handguns off of friends/family legally by having them drive into CT to a FFL to do the transfer. Whole thing is as expected a fracking mess.
Nope. I just looked up the law as it was in 1994 and the probation is there also. I did not read the whole thing but from my quick speed read it does not look like they changed it in 2013 with PA-13. I guess this is why the sent out this poorly written notice.

(c) No person who is transporting a firearm through this state in accordance with this section may use or carry such firearm or sell, deliver or otherwise transfer such firearm while in this state.