Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Range or Club In Farmington Valley  (Read 225 times)

Offline zpelletier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 0
Range or Club In Farmington Valley
« on: June 08, 2019, 07:14:31 AM »

Hello,
I recently moved back to CT, gotta find a place to shoot, hopefully near Simsbury/Canton.

I know there’s Metacon in Simsbury, but I think their waitlist is multiple years. And there’s Hartford Gun Club in East Granby but that’s $540 a year and at least 45 mins away. Anywhere else in the area?

Offline CTSixshot

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Highly Active Member
  • ...and the truth shall make you free.
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Range or Club In Farmington Valley
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 07:40:05 AM »
You are in the same dilemma as most CT residents.
There are clubs in Southington, Wolcott, Torrington, Harwinton, Colebrook, Hamden, Wallingford, Meriden, Berlin, Durham, Bristol, East Windsor and so on, but none are within a ten minutes drive of Simsbury.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 07:41:19 AM by CTSixshot »

Offline triton186

• Forum Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 11:47:51 PM »
Despite the wait, you should get on the metacon list asap. Its not as bad as it was a couple years ago. Its a no brainer if you live in the area.  Its a great club with lots of good people.  Indoor and outdoor ranges (outdoor to 200yrds) and an archery range as well.  The rates are pretty reasonable as well.  The longer you delay, the longer you’ll wait.  In the mean time, you can join a place like bristol f/g with no wait list to to do a little shooting while u wait for metacon.  You will soon enough see why some places have wait lists, and other places can’t fill the ranks and are always looking for new members. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:49:07 PM by triton186 »

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 10:23:29 AM »
Metacon is a good club for shooting. But only shooting. If you want a place with a pond or trap field and other things to do and a place to hang out Metacon is not the place. I have been a Metacon member for decades and I like it there. I shoot my NFA stuff there. But I am also a member of the Raccoon Club and it is were I hand out.

Offline CTSixshot

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Highly Active Member
  • ...and the truth shall make you free.
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 10:59:38 AM »
Speaking of Metacon, are they holding any of those machine gun open house events this year?

Online edgephoto

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Guns don't kill people. People kill people...
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 04:50:41 PM »
Hartford Gun Club is expensive compared to other clubs but they have some great facilities. I belonged for a couple years while waiting to get into the club that is local to me. Cost is a small factor is you consider what you get for the dues.

I am not a hanger out type guy. I hate people and prefer to go, use the facilities and high tail it out of there. I don't want to do work details or anything else that will steal my precious free time. I have plenty of work to do around my houses.

If Hartford was closer to me I would still be a member. it was a 50 minute drive so not convenient for a quick trip to test loads or sight in an optic. My current club is 4 miles away.