Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Is a pinned upper and lower required?  (Read 803 times)

Offline GULFVT

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Is a pinned upper and lower required?
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 03:19:26 PM »
I believe that the Hex Mag thing was the fact their first gen 10/30 mags had a removable "block" so all you had to do was remove the block and add a new follower amd 30 rd spring and you had a standard cap mag.  they have since changed their design to eliminate that. 

That was my understanding on the Hex Mags

Online BerettaBoy213

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Highly Active Member
  • revolverholic
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 09:00:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Misinformation abounds in every area not just guns. In this case just about everything you were told is wrong. You can have all the spare parts you want including bolt carriers.  The only mags that are banned in CT are those over 10 rounds. What is so special about Hex Mags that would make them banned? As for the upper receiver, as long as you have a legal use for it it is legal to have. The old theory of constructive possession went out the door when ATF went after Thompson Center about the ability to swap out parts on the contender to make a rifle or a pistol. ATF said you "could" make a short barreled rifle by adding the pistol grip and a long barrel. The court said nonsense.

So "constructive posession" is not a real thing now (if ever)?

Offline Will1776

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sic Semper Tyrannis
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 09:05:16 PM »
I believe that the Hex Mag thing was the fact their first gen 10/30 mags had a removable "block" so all you had to do was remove the block and add a new follower amd 30 rd spring and you had a standard cap mag.  they have since changed their design to eliminate that. 

That was my understanding on the Hex Mags

I believe the swap is still possible, but it comes from the factory as a 10 round mag, not a 30 round mag modified to only accept 10 rounds. Also any cop is going to test the magazine by seeing how many rounds he can squeeze in. I'm of the opinion that a cop isn't going to look further if he can't squeeze more than 10 in  :dunno:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:05:55 PM by Will1776 »

Offline CT203

• PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 09:51:59 PM »
Yea, I agree with Will. The fact that you can modify something doesn’t inherently mean it’s illegal.  The Hexmag - regardless of generation - are fine until someone does something illegal to modify it from a factory 10/30 to a 30.

Under the same logic, basically any 10/30 would be illegal because you could drill the retainer pin at the bottom, remove the plate, cut the round limiter and replace the spring lol.  Could be done but the mag isn’t illegal until some actual broke the law.

Online Flatulence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Highly Active Member
  • FCFAA
    • FCFAA
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 10:51:07 PM »
Yea, I agree with Will. The fact that you can modify something doesn’t inherently mean it’s illegal.  The Hexmag - regardless of generation - are fine until someone does something illegal to modify it from a factory 10/30 to a 30.

Under the same logic, basically any 10/30 would be illegal because you could drill the retainer pin at the bottom, remove the plate, cut the round limiter and replace the spring lol.  Could be done but the mag isn’t illegal until some actual broke the law.

If we were worried about it, no FFLs would be selling the Troy or MFT mags. Same goes for threaded barrels, etc. It what the customer does with it that matters.

I dont sell hex mags because of the amount of failures I have seen customers in the range have with them.
Fairfield County Firearms & Archery LLC 01, 07, 08 FFL
4 New Canaan Ave Norwalk CT 06851
203 354 0616

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 11:24:25 PM »
So "constructive posession" is not a real thing now (if ever)?
It is only a thing if you have no legal use for the parts you have. The Contender case made it clear that just because you can is not enough.

Online Bottom Rung

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 08:39:25 AM »
I had always wondered about the Contender. Interesting information.

Online M1A_All_Day

• Forum Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Firewood Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 11:47:11 AM »
Great example of how gun owners are their worst enemy, asking so many self-prohecizing questions about minutiae of gun laws that don't even exist. Good, sane advice in here and I always appreciate the sanity-check from seasoned FFLs (thank you).

RE: Ability to remove upper from lower on a CT-Compliant "Other" firearm... I am not a lawyer- but the by-far the biggest Federal legal precedent I remember when considering constructive possession is US v. Thompson. From Wikipedia GCS article:

Owning both a short barrel and a legal-length rifle could be construed as intent to build an illegal, unregistered SBR. This possibility was contested and won in the U.S. Supreme Court case of United States v. Thompson-Center Arms Company. ATF lost the case, and was unable to prove that possession of a short barrel for the specific pistol configuration of a Thompson Contender is illegal. ATF later released ruling 2011-4[19] to clarify the legal status of owning such conversion kits.

ATF 2011-4[19]:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 11:49:18 AM by M1A_All_Day »

Offline Will1776

• Highly Active Member
  • Sic Semper Tyrannis
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 01:58:45 PM »

If we were worried about it, no FFLs would be selling the Troy or MFT mags. Same goes for threaded barrels, etc. It what the customer does with it that matters.

I dont sell hex mags because of the amount of failures I have seen customers in the range have with them.

Aren’t the Troy mags glued shut?

Offline CT203

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2019, 02:02:03 PM »
The issue is that we are all law abiding citizens, and in the absence of clear law - assumptions are made as to what the law “must” mean.  Then people start passing their opinion as fact and it continues the cycle of misinformation. 

Online Bottom Rung

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2019, 03:48:49 PM »
Aren’t the Troy mags glued shut?

They are.