Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Price and quality of CT others?  (Read 350 times)

trumpet12, Danzi44, reapso and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online chestercopperpot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 0
Price and quality of CT others?
« on: March 17, 2019, 09:04:22 AM »

I was in Vermont yesterday and I went into a couple gun shops on the way home just to look around. Both shops had a few stag ARs. I asked to look at them and noticed they seemed to be better constructed and cheaper than the Others sold in CT. I realize there are different models and all that but I feel like we get ripped off in CT. Models without any pistol brace are still x amount of dollars and a complete firearm in Vermont was cheaper. I appreciate everything the manufactures do for us in CT but from what I have seen in other shops in other states Texas and Florida included it seems to me that it’s another one of those it’s CT so let’s jack up the price things. In Florida there were complete very nice BCM ARs 3 p mags included for $899. The pricing just doesn’t make sense to me in CT. Shorter barrel, not stock or brace, one crappy 10 round mag , and the gun is $1000. I realize there are some cheaper in the state but I’m talking about well known manufacturers. Anyone else notice this?

Online Bob Loewenhagen

• PROTECT the 2nd!
Re: Price and quality of CT others?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 11:27:17 AM »
Take a look at Connecticut Supreme Court's recent decision in Soto v Bushmaster where the court flouts Federal Law to keep the lawsuit going on a lawsuit against a manufacturer.  A manufacturer may face additional risks in marketing firearms in CT.

Online Jgreen2193

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 08:11:25 PM »
If you ever bought ar’s before the ban, or have built them, looked at them etc, this is old news dude. Big time.   
$600 can get you a run of the mill M&p 15 stag windham weaponry etc. you can build a nasty one for 6-8.

Just because the barrel is shorter doesn’t mean it should be cheaper. Why do you want a long barrel? What caliber are you running. Some calibers, like 6.8spc, powder is done at 12.5”, that is made for a short barrel. Barrel length and accuracy are NOT related to each other. Velocity is. 556 powder is burnt off at 20” with some ammo. Look at mk318, made for short barrels for velocity, penetration, expansion etc. there is ammo for shorter barrels for 556 and other calibers. Look at 300blk, made to shoot subs, with a can, why have a 16” barrel with a 6-8” can sticking out?
I’d rather have a short barrel to keep things tight, it will be plenty accurate (some short barrels have sub MOA guarantee) and I’m sure 99% of ar enthusiasts want a short barrel. Unless obviously they are running certain calibers and are trying to achieve max distance with less drop with high BC pills, shooting well past 400 yards.
A lot of braces cost more than most stocks too.
And as said by bob, I’m sure there are some legal hoops.
 But because of the prices of prebans, which dealers in CT marked up big time after our ban, that drove the price up of the CT legal others. No one would buy a preban over an other if the prices were too far apart, so I’m sure they made them close priced to try to keep some prebans flowing. Prebans were always hot in CT before pa13-3 but after, they sky rocketed because they were the “only legal option” but that’s not the case anymore.  A lot that and the famous line of “price and demand”.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:15:45 PM by Jgreen2193 »

Online chestercopperpot

• Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 09:15:22 AM »
Yeah i have bought them before the ban. Never said i wanted a longer barrel. Just looking at barrels online shows they are usually cheaper the shorter they are. Good point about keeping the price point near pre bans because they probably wouldn't sell i never thought of that.

Online Steevo

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+46)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 09:59:50 AM »
nobody said having a gun hobby would be cheap.....  ;D ;D

my motto is buy once, cry once......  ;D ;D

Some places buy ar's by the pallet and can sell the guns a lot cheaper than other stores in other states. back before the latest ban here, riverview used to buy guns by the pallet and sometimes have better deals than hoffmans did. For me , when I am shopping for say an other, I look at what parts are used in the upper. I dont like junk rails or shit bcg's....

I am not a steve troy fan , but the troys at a grand come with decent bcg, awesome sights.....

And od course we as Connecticut residents get the frack off and die tax on guns
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online Andrew06

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 11:25:11 AM »
You could buy your own other compliant upper and have it sent to an FFL willing to sell you the lower as a package.  Your upper will be procured at market prices, you’ll pay up a little bit still for the lower, but this somewhat helps and at least gets you whatever quality upper you want to buy.

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 11:39:28 AM »
Actually...Other's are registered as complete firearms so, you really have to have the entire thing together.

That being said, you could build your own "other" through an FFL if they were willing to do that for you with, realistically, almost whatever parts you wanted.

Online Steevo

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+46)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 01:41:47 PM »
pretty sure red planet will let you choose upgraded parts if wanted as well as delta in wallingford....but check first...... i didnt stay at a holiday inn last night so....
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 01:47:05 PM by Steevo »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 05:34:37 PM »
I mean in terms of overall length - You can choose parts around that, whatever handguard you want etc. but you’re locked into barrel length on an other so, whatever you pick has to be completed in the sense of a ‘brace’ and barrel length.