Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: my gun safe project LOL  (Read 179 times)

K. Soze, tantig, edgephoto, kjones45acp, Lefty Barstow, colossusrex, Recneps, Silent Preyer and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Steevo

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+46)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 3
my gun safe project LOL
« on: Yesterday at 03:36:03 PM »

i have a browning safe i bought many many years ago at cabelas.  its a good size, i think a 25 or 30...not sure on model......

It has an electronic keypad on it and i started having a few issues with the keypad. I decided i would replace it with a better electronic keypad with bio reader and backup keys for it.... parts arrived, look good... I took apart the safe as its a pretty easy process having done it before....here is where the LOL comes in......

** the safe door has a hole drilled through it behind the keypad, it is for the wire cable to go through it. it also has a few steel plates inside between the door and the lock mechanism. and the steel mount that has the plates inside is the same piece that you mount the lock inside to.  The hole isnt big enough for the keys to be used.....DERP.....

So now I need to drill out the holes a little bigger for the keys to work as well as another hole for the wiring. SO off to home depot to but a milwaukee Step drill bit and some drilling oil as well. The milwaukee step bit is real nice and goes up to 7/8" which is perfect. I have a nice cordless drill that only goes to 600 rpm which will be nice and slow to not burn the bit. The steel plates inside i can remove out of the steel bracket and drill those on the drill press......  I have some nice hole saws from work that would cut through like butter but with the smaller hole already there it makes it impossible to us them as the pilot bit would be huge......  hope the step bit lasts through 6 layers of steel  ;D

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online Lefty Barstow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: my gun safe project LOL
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:26:42 PM »
i have a browning safe i bought many many years ago at cabelas.  its a good size, i think a 25 or 30...not sure on model......

It has an electronic keypad on it and i started having a few issues with the keypad. I decided i would replace it with a better electronic keypad with bio reader and backup keys for it.... parts arrived, look good... I took apart the safe as its a pretty easy process having done it before....here is where the LOL comes in......

** the safe door has a hole drilled through it behind the keypad, it is for the wire cable to go through it. it also has a few steel plates inside between the door and the lock mechanism. and the steel mount that has the plates inside is the same piece that you mount the lock inside to.  The hole isnt big enough for the keys to be used.....DERP.....

So now I need to drill out the holes a little bigger for the keys to work as well as another hole for the wiring. SO off to home depot to but a milwaukee Step drill bit and some drilling oil as well. The milwaukee step bit is real nice and goes up to 7/8" which is perfect. I have a nice cordless drill that only goes to 600 rpm which will be nice and slow to not burn the bit. The steel plates inside i can remove out of the steel bracket and drill those on the drill press......  I have some nice hole saws from work that would cut through like butter but with the smaller hole already there it makes it impossible to us them as the pilot bit would be huge......  hope the step bit lasts through 6 layers of steel  ;D

I’m guessing the steel plates are hardened. That would make it a real pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online JBear

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:41:58 AM »
Yeah... I think that step bit will be a bit out-matched. Good luck though. Nothing pisses me off like having to stop in the middle of a project because a tool I bought for the project didn't make it to the end.
But it will be like teaching a pig to sing, a waste of your time, and you'll only succeed in anoying the pig.

Online PreBanMan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:55:51 AM »
Sounds like a job for a plasma cutter, or light saber young Jedi.

Online Steevo

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+46)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:38:41 PM »
ALL DONE  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

1-  I drilled the front of the safe door first to enlarge the hole.

2-  I drilled the back of the lock assembly Mount and enlarged the hole.

3-  drilled the inside of the back part of the door with a smaller step bit to size needed.

4- drilled a 3/8" hole to the side of the center hole in door to run wire cable through.

5- hardened steel plates only needed to be notched on the side to allow enough room for the wire cable to go through.

Works mint, the bio feature is nice. 

The milwaukee step bit held up nice, did start to dull a little towards the end. I will get it sharpened at some point, but well worth the money.  Looks factory, cant tell i did anything to it.

*** i did however test the lock safety feature. I had the door open and locked it so the bars extended out. I loosened the bolts on the ock mechanism itself so it would pop off the re-locker bracket and drop the steel LOCK bar as if it had been drilled. YUP... worked perfectly...... even my backup key would not unlock it........  works as if it should.....

All back together, very happy it went smoothly......