Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: JUST IN FROM THE STATE POLICE  (Read 2432 times)

Online edgephoto

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Guns don't kill people. People kill people...
  • Referrals: 2
Re: JUST IN FROM THE STATE POLICE
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2019, 08:08:11 PM »
This is because their database is so messed up and they have piles of DPS-3s that have not been entered into the system. They are trying to cover their asses since they are backlogged beyond belief. They were a disaster before Sandy Hook now that they have to authorize every sale in the state with the same amount of people they are a mess.

Personally the more messed up and back logged they are the better. It will be years before they figure out which end is up with the stuff they are sitting on.

Offline FirefighterCT

• We're long overdue for a purge
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2019, 09:13:16 PM »
Thanks to Joel and Flatulence for keeping us non-FFL's informed about this procedure change.

I would not have known about it had I not read about it here.

Online SmoothOperator

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2019, 10:50:44 PM »
Thanks Flatulance for clearing this up a little bit.  I spoke to the state about what happens if a gun comes back stolen and they told me they weren't sure yet.

I agree this may be a hassle when a dealer takes in an estate of guns.  We all know the states record of info collected off DPS-3-C is laden with error, but I would imagine the stolen gun check is on the federal level and separate from that.  I don't doubt there will be glitches and issues along the way.

An important thing that a lot of people in this thread don't recognize is the instant check is a great benefit to the customer whenever buying or consigning a used gun.  When a dealer takes in a gun they send in a DPS-3-C.  Months later when the state processes it they will run the serial number.  Before that happens the dealer may have already sold the gun; then the CSP has to retrieve the gun from the customer.  This doesn't happen every day but it's not uncommon.  Usually the customer gets the gun back a month or two later depending on how many years ago and in what state it was reported stolen.

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2019, 10:38:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wonder if this could be a step in banning private sales.
This has been covered and I don't see where comes from. I won't say it is not a goal but this does not seem to be a step in that direction.

I don't see where people are getting the idea that this is setting us up for no more private transfers. They are going to check every used gun no matter who is doing the buying or selling.

How so?

From the sounds of it one would simply be giving the state one more piece of information (firearm serial number) when making the sales authorization call. If that serial number is not in the stolen firearms database then the sale authorization call process proceeds. If the number is in the stolen firearms database then the sales authorization call is ended without a sales authorization number being issued. Which effectively ends a legal transfer of the firearm.

Now of course this brings up the question of what a person performing a face to face transfer is supposed to do if the sales authorization call fails due to the firearm being in the stolen firearms database. Are they supposed to contact police? Or just continue on without notifying the police?

Like said earlier I do see the problem of inaccurate serial numbers being entered into the stolen firearms database being a potential problem.

I also see this as being one more layer being implemented to make the process slightly more difficult/longer. More government "red tape" on something that in the past was a fairly easy process.

Online 860firearms

• Supporting Vendor
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Enfield FFL - $25 transfers
  • Referrals: 1
    • Website is live! BlitzTactical.com
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2019, 03:08:35 PM »
In fact even the same manufacturer could use the same serial number for several guns. This Colt serial number (236060) is linked to 11 different guns mfg between 1863 and 1941. I am pretty sure there is no longer any serial number duplication these modern days. But the issue is still there for all those old guns.

I had a serial number come up as a hit today. Old Remington rifle. They asked for the make/model/caliber and cleared it pretty quickly.
Blitz Tactical / 860 Firearms, LLC - Enfield, CT
$30 FFL Transfers ($25 for CTGT members)

Online edgephoto

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Guns don't kill people. People kill people...
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2019, 09:16:35 PM »
I had a serial number come up as a hit today. Old Remington rifle. They asked for the make/model/caliber and cleared it pretty quickly.

We were just talking about that on Friday. Well, guess we now know the answer.

Online MrNuke

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Go Big or go Home..
    • CTGUNTALK.COM Firearms Forum
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2019, 10:37:50 PM »
Funny this thread is up. I am in the process of selling a pretty old Mossberg 500 12ga that has no serial number on it. Looks like pre-65 had no serials and just to tell the DPS when I call for the auth that it's pre '68.

CTGUNTALK.COM CT's Hottest Guns and Firearms, Laws, Range Info, Politics, News and Events Social Site.

Online zacker001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Highly Active Member
  • WTF?
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2019, 01:21:22 PM »
so what do they want you to do if the gun comes back as stolen and you tell the owner you cant give it back so he pulls out his other stolen gun and starts shooting? lol.... some people are just nuts!
There is no excuse that can be made, That can justify partaking in the needless slaughter of good pets, except complete ignorance!
-Me

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2019, 01:39:39 PM »
so what do they want you to do if the gun comes back as stolen and you tell the owner you cant give it back so he pulls out his other stolen gun and starts shooting? lol.... some people are just nuts!

You can't necessarily prove anything else was stolen. I'd argue you couldn't even give a 100% that said gun was stolen.

Above/beyond that, the system is RIFE with inaccurate serial #'s...Some were entered incorrectly...Some weren't actually stolen...You'd be surprised.

Ever see your own DPS forms? Some I own. Some I don't. Missing a lot...

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2019, 02:06:12 PM »
You can't necessarily prove anything else was stolen. I'd argue you couldn't even give a 100% that said gun was stolen.

Above/beyond that, the system is RIFE with inaccurate serial #'s...Some were entered incorrectly...Some weren't actually stolen...You'd be surprised.

Ever see your own DPS forms? Some I own. Some I don't. Missing a lot...
The stolen gun list is not part of the CT State Police data base. NCIC is a national system and has nothing to do with CSP and the SP3 forms.

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2019, 02:23:33 PM »
The stolen gun list is not part of the CT State Police data base. NCIC is a national system and has nothing to do with CSP and the SP3 forms.

I know, was just making a general point about registry related incompetence.