Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Lawmaker proposes toll discount for low income residents  (Read 1604 times)

Online Steevo

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+46)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Lawmaker proposes toll discount for low income residents
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2019, 01:37:31 PM »
its about buying and keeping your votes
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online nutter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »
Roughly $15,000.00 per student in Bridgeport. And what is the return on that type of investment?

Offline shermer-high

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2019, 02:35:15 AM »
My wife too.  Paperwork, presentations etc.  Working at night and weekends.

Then to listen to how many tests these kids have to take.  Insanity.  It's like people don't want the teachers to teach and the kids to learn.
I'm not against teachers earning money some work their tails off not all teachers earn that much, the education system is the bureaucratic waste. That being said some of us work our tails off all year with no vacations no retirement or healthcare plan and not enough earnings to ever retire. I'm not against people getting what they can I'm against the state wasting what it can.

Online M1A_All_Day

• Forum Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Firewood Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2019, 12:47:56 PM »
Hilariously-out-of-touch title, but this is a great example of how little CT residents understand how tolls will cost them. Original poster says “$30”/year flat rate.

Some good comments about the reality of what a $0.055/mile rate would cost you for the year- closer to $2,000 than $30.

Online Durham68

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2019, 01:56:37 PM »
Hilariously-out-of-touch title, but this is a great example of how little CT residents understand how tolls will cost them. Original poster says “$30”/year flat rate.

Some good comments about the reality of what a $0.055/mile rate would cost you for the year- closer to $2,000 than $30.

$2,000 is certainly possible. Some folks drive a ton. But anyone driving that much would likely get discounts (CT issued E-ZPass, frequent user, etc).

Online M1A_All_Day

• Forum Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Firewood Hoarder
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2019, 02:09:53 PM »
I work in downtown Hartford, lots of people take the bus. The company subsidizes bus passes, but even then it’s still $92-$364/month (pre-tax deduction) for a month's worth of bus passes, depending on what zone you stop at.

So let’s call that $100-$350/month for discounted bus passes as-is.
State does NOT offer any discount for residents who use mass transit, luckily some private employers do.

Tolls I would expect the same- the state is not going to discount ANYONE.
Do you see discount bus passes for low income persons? Nope.
I certainly have a lot of assholes asking me for bus cash on Central Row, though.

Just putting sugar on it right now to get everyone to swallow the pill.
Just like “tractor trailers will be the only tolls”- yeah, right.

The $0.055/mile rate is a good place to start estimating your toll burden for limited access highways.

I’m not sure if they’ll do RT9, RT8, or RT2- so far I just read RT84, 91, 95, 15, 395. Interstates.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:57:46 PM by M1A_All_Day »

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2019, 02:19:12 PM »
Just for shits and giggles lets do a little math to calculate how much someone might pay in a year in tolls. Lets say each toll is $0.25. And one goes through 3 tolls to work and 3 more from work. Remember they are talking upwards of 50 or more toll locations across the state. Lets say there are 260 work days in a year. If my math (well Excel) is right that's an extra  $390.00 a year one is paying on top of the gas tax they are already paying to get to and from work.

For some $390.00 will be a big hit to take. You can bet that employers will be reluctant to provide pay raises to compensate for this new tax on workers. Some will some won't provide some sort of pay raise. This of course means the cost of that pay raise is passed on to that business's customers who may then pass that increase on to their customers/others and so on.
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Online mu2bdriver

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Everyday I wake up this State sucks a little more.
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2019, 03:45:34 PM »
I can't wait to see how this newly found revenue gets pilfered away.  I don't care if they allegedly put the funds into whatever lockbox or whatever other gimmick language they choose, any money given to the State eventually goes into the General Fund to get pissed away.  When it becomes apparent that the roads won't be paved in gold and traffic congestion through Hartford/Waterbury/New Haven between 7-10am and 3-6pm is still terrible, maybe even the densest Progs will realize that this was just another money grab.

Online imahangtia

• Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2019, 03:58:35 PM »
Does or did anyone, ANYONE AT ALL think this money will go to fixing roads and bridges?  FVCK NO!  It is for the ghetto rats.

Online Durham68

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2019, 07:18:58 PM »
Just for shits and giggles lets do a little math to calculate how much someone might pay in a year in tolls. Lets say each toll is $0.25. And one goes through 3 tolls to work and 3 more from work. Remember they are talking upwards of 50 or more toll locations across the state. Lets say there are 260 work days in a year. If my math (well Excel) is right that's an extra  $390.00 a year one is paying on top of the gas tax they are already paying to get to and from work.

For some $390.00 will be a big hit to take. You can bet that employers will be reluctant to provide pay raises to compensate for this new tax on workers. Some will some won't provide some sort of pay raise. This of course means the cost of that pay raise is passed on to that business's customers who may then pass that increase on to their customers/others and so on.

This is actually a pretty fair estimate. Certainly many will incur more than this, but there are also discounts for CT issued transponders and frequent user discounts to take into consideration. I'd say most commuters will find themselves somewhere between $200 and $600 per year based on the numbers in the report.