Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Selling to a gun store: price comparison  (Read 1374 times)

Online MrNuke

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Go Big or go Home..
  • Referrals: 2
    • CTGUNTALK.COM Firearms Forum
Re: Selling to a gun store: price comparison
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 09:32:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
ONLY long guns. If you are not a FFL, DO NOT ship a handgun USPS!

Yes, forgot to add that, just not pistols.
CTGUNTALK.COM CT's Hottest Guns and Firearms, Laws, Range Info, Politics, News and Events Social Site.

Online BerettaBoy213

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Highly Active Member
  • revolverholic
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2019, 09:48:21 PM »
Little confused by this - my understanding is if you sell on GB, you get the buyer (or their FFL) to send you the FFL's license, then you ship (FedEx or UPS overnight for handguns) directly to their FFL.  So shipping cost is on you, but transfer fees are on them.  The only advantage of using an FFL to mail it I can see is an FFL can send pistols to another FFL via USPS - but around here most FFLs charge $40-50 per xfer, so any savings would be lost.

I meant that the transfer fee plus shipping eats into your profits more than a face-to-face transaction would, which is potentially free, but is still better than selling to a dealer.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:48:49 PM by BerettaBoy213 »

Online MrNuke

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Go Big or go Home..
  • Referrals: 2
    • CTGUNTALK.COM Firearms Forum
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 09:52:10 PM »
I meant that the transfer fee plus shipping eats into your profits more than a face-to-face transaction would, which is potentially free, but is still better than selling to a dealer.

Yup, also selling privately like on here, the forum, usually will net you good $$. I have never sold anything used at more than a 20% off new price and also never low ball a seller as it's just courtesy.
CTGUNTALK.COM CT's Hottest Guns and Firearms, Laws, Range Info, Politics, News and Events Social Site.

Online TheBoxND

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2019, 10:50:51 PM »
Also, not sure what your idea of 'active' is, but if moving over $3MIL in under 4 years is low for a forum that only facilitates the legal transfer of firearms and equipment between members, then you're on your own.  :dunno:

You're right - last time I looked I was on my tablet and it only showed a few posts from like November, I don't know if I wasn't logged in or what... but I just checked again and see a whole lot more there.  Thanks.

Online TheBoxND

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2019, 03:19:38 PM »
Just a quick update - ended up selling locally to a member of my club (old fashioned way, printed a sign on a physical bulletin board).  I included a bunch of accessories (grips, speed loaders, snap caps) - so in the end I probably ended up somewhere between Hoffman's offer and NGXs estimate of what they would have offered if they didn't already have one in stock.
Here's a recap of what I learned from this whole thing:
-Selling FTF is much easier than expected, had an auth # in about 5 minutes calling on a weekday morning.  Paperwork only took about 15mins total including mailing copies to buyer's local PD and Middletown.  Just gotta make sure you're comfortable with who you're dealing with.
-Clearly best price comes from selling locally or via local forum.
-If selling to a store, set reasonable expectations remembering they need to make a fairly decent margin to keep the lights on, let alone make a profit.  Basically think of it as paying a premium for convenience.
-NGX and Hoffman's both had very fair offers for cash, Hoffman's would have been even sweeter if I wanted to trade.
-Cabela's "gun library" is a PITA and unfriendly to deal with and their offer was not even competitive unless I took it in gift cards (which would have matched the 2nd lowest offer) to use there, where everything is priced at MSRP.  Skip it.
-If you want to go the online auction route - don't forget to check what items are actually selling for, not what their listed at, and factor in auction fees, shipping fees ($90+ for a handgun overnight, maybe more now that the NRA FedEx discount is gone) and CC processing fees unless you are doing check / money order.  In the end you may not be that far off from what local stores offer.
-Don't walk into a gunshop and say "I saw this for $X.xx on GB, match it," that is just obnoxious.

Online M1A_All_Day

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2019, 05:53:03 PM »
Good work and good advice.