Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Build a fixed magazine AR10 type Rifle  (Read 979 times)

Online Steevo

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+46)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Build a fixed magazine AR10 type Rifle
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2019, 11:57:32 AM »
for bolt guns i have:

--Colt m2012 CLR in 308, built by cooper for colt, spiral fluted heavy barrel, chassis, aics mags ect.....    shoots incredible

-- Kimber 8400 advanced tactical in 308, mcmillan a5 stock, desert camo, blind mag, love it, shoots better than the colt

-- bergara m14 chassis rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. shoots damn nice.

** KAC SR-25, custom build with dpms and larue parts. shoots dead on like mt bolt rifles when shooting slowly, shooting fast i loose accuracy as expected.  im not an operator LOL
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The following users thanked this post: ctrange

Offline ctrange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2019, 11:32:04 PM »
If you are already looking at spending $2000 for the fixed magazine semi-auto, then I would look a little higher up in the price range for the bolt action as well.

The Ruger Precision Rifle is still an excellent value, especially at the low prices some retailers blow them out at.

The Bergara HMR is a fantastic value and rather aesthetically pleasing. 

The Tikka T3 Tacticals are very nice and the Tikka TAC A1’s are super nice. They can be had for a bit less than your $2000 semi-auto budget.

Like Steevo said, you may enjoy the bolt gun game, especially at distance.  They will definitely be less finicky then the AR-10 type stuff.

All good points. I'm taking it slow and may well end up going the bolt gun route.

I've seen the RPRs up close and they are nice. Haven't seen any Bergaras but I looked it up and it does have a nice look too.

I still have a bit to learn but it seems there are a lot of really cool custom chassis for bolt guns that aren't overly expensive. With some of the bolt guns capable of shooting around 1/2 MOA right out the box for under $1k, it seems like a good place to start and I could always throw it into a custom chassis as my skills improve and I want more.

Thanks.

Offline ctrange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2019, 11:39:53 PM »
for bolt guns i have:

--Colt m2012 CLR in 308, built by cooper for colt, spiral fluted heavy barrel, chassis, aics mags ect.....    shoots incredible

-- Kimber 8400 advanced tactical in 308, mcmillan a5 stock, desert camo, blind mag, love it, shoots better than the colt

-- bergara m14 chassis rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. shoots damn nice.

** KAC SR-25, custom build with dpms and larue parts. shoots dead on like mt bolt rifles when shooting slowly, shooting fast i loose accuracy as expected.  im not an operator LOL

That's a seriously nice rifle selection Steevo.

Totally jealous!

Where do you shoot those beauties? CT is kinda light on long range outdoor ranges. I've been looking and the only decent one relatively close is Granby Bow and Gun club in MA.