Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Troy "other" owners, help needed.  (Read 723 times)

Online Kerensky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Standard Member
  • FM
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Troy "other" owners, help needed.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 03:07:48 AM »
Sight offset will always be a thing with an AR15, or any other firearm, that has sights or an optic raised up above the bore any appreciable amount.  It's not a matter of engineering it out, it is just a physical reality and something that must be either taken into account when shooting or by moving onto another weapon platform where the sights are mounted much lower to the axis of the bore.  Even a scoped hunting rifle would have to have the offset accounted for when shooting at targets up close. Also, if your Troy other came with sights installed they are likely the "micro" version already.  At least they were on the one I purchased.

A dead on 15 yard zero is crazy, and even with that zero you'll still be an inch low at 10 yards, 2" low at 5 yards.  You also put the effectiveness of the rifle into a very tiny window and are hamstringing yourself as soon as you take it out of that window.

The issue with a short zero like that is if you take the weapon out to any other range even marginally out of that tiny window the trajectory of your rounds might as well be that of a howitzer. Roughly your POI vs POA would be something like this with a 15yd zero, and even higher with a 10yd zero!

2" high @ 25yds
6" high @ 50yds
9" high @ 75yds
14"(!) high @ 100yds

Put another way, if it came down to putting rounds in someone at 100 yards you'd have to be aiming at his junk to hit him in the chest and a center mass hold would lob the rounds over his head.

Many people, myself included, use a 50 yard zero which is sort of jack of all trades usuable for ranges from 0 to 200+ yards.  I calculated the numbers in the chart below using a close enough guestimate for velocity of M193 55gr ball out of a 12.5" barrel and standard height sights (or an absolute cowitness height optic). 

The beauty of a 50yd zero is the bullet point of impact at 50 and 200 yards is almost identical with not much more than 1.5" of rise in the trajectory between those two distances, and even at 250yds the impact is only about 3" low. So for all practical intents and purposes if whatever you want to hit is somewhere in that window, your POI is close enough to your POA to just line up the sights and pull the trigger.  Taking it in closer with the same 50yd zero, you'd be around 1.75" low at 15 yards and maybe 1.25" low at 25yds due to sight offset.

Again, this is just the reality of any weapon, not just the AR15, with any sights (iron, offset, optical) raised above the bore.

Online TominCt.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 05:14:04 AM »
Thanks for all that info it was very helpful.
 So, for the AR platform, a 50yard zero is the 'standard' zero point that has the least amount of over/under hold ?
 My original question was for 2 issues I had.
1. Going into winter, ill only be shooting indoors ( 80ft. or less)
2. I want to hit where I aim. lol, really, I hate the over/under hold idea.
Multiple people here have explained it and I totally understand it now.
You are correct, I was looking to 'engineer' as much of the hold over under out, as much as I can.
Now with this info i know what I have to do for a set up on my 'other'

One last thing, I still dont like how shooting an AR platform is nothing but a estimate of 'where I have to aim' to hit my target. To me, there is nothing more imprecise.

Thanks again.
Tom

Online M1A_All_Day

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 10:37:15 AM »
You're over-thinking it all, go practice.
Get 1000 rounds down-range and come back to revisit your questions.
"We are not the same. I'm an American, you're a sick ahole."

Online Steevo

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+46)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 01:28:01 PM »
make sure your barrel nut isnt loose...LOL...just saw this..............

just saw a guy bring his stag 308 "other" in for issues and when you grabbed the rail on it, you could twist the rail/barrel nut both ways a 1/4 turn.....  awesome quality control...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online Flatulence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Highly Active Member
  • FCFAA
    • FCFAA
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 08:46:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
make sure your barrel nut isnt loose...LOL...just saw this..............

just saw a guy bring his stag 308 "other" in for issues and when you grabbed the rail on it, you could twist the rail/barrel nut both ways a 1/4 turn.....  awesome quality control...

There is a reason cheap guns are cheap.
Fairfield County Firearms & Archery LLC 01, 07, 08 FFL
4 New Canaan Ave Norwalk CT 06851
203 354 0616
The following users thanked this post: Joe