Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Stag Arms other  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Kerensky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Standard Member
  • FM
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Stag Arms other
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 07:50:14 AM »
You're welcome.

There's nothing that I've seen that says the take down pins need to be fixed in place.  In fact a buddy has one of the Frontier others which does not have the pin fixed in place.  As long as the overall length is above 26" (unless it's a registered AOW) and the barrel is >12" to exclude it as a pistol under CT law, you should be good to go.  Legally the lower receiver is still considered as only a firearm or "other" regardless of the upper being attached or not.  Only once you go out of a certain set of parameters would the classification be changed to a pistol, rifle, or NFA controlled AOW / SBR.

The pins were able to be removed and replaced and they function normally on both firearms now.  The Troy and Stag both use standard front pins that have the detent hole drilled a bit deeper, and once they are out can be replaced with and any unmodified standard front pin.  The .308 Stag uses proprietary pins which can be ordered from them but I was too lazy to do that so I just filled in the detent hole with JB weld and made it work.  Sometimes the pins come out with little fuss, and sometimes a little more work is needed.  I believe Steevo mentioned in a thread that he could just tap out the pin on a Troy he owns, and around 20 minutes of careful Dremel work was needed to take care of the pin on mine.

Unfortunately I can't speak of accuracy with the Stag.  I put exactly 11rds through the factory 16" barrel before I pulled it and installed the BA 12.5", but Stag barrels are generally quite accurate from what I've read and seen from others.

Really you can't go wrong with either and Stag does have the home team advantage also.  8)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 07:54:00 AM by Kerensky »

Offline TylerImp

• .45, because shooting twice is silly.
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 12:39:39 PM »
I would also like to know if it was possible to remove the front take down pin. I did see that you were able to get it out but there was some damage you had to fill in? Is this something you think would happen every time? I called hoffmans and they said I couldnt get a 16 in barrel on it but I'm pretty sure you can order them from them w 16 in
-Tyler

Online Steevo

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+46)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 12:51:05 PM »
i have:
2 troy "others"  both pins came out with no fuss or milling/drilling.  again, some have damaged or cracked their lower tapping pin loose. some shops mill it out to avoid this. they can be removed of your careful.

1 new frontier 9mm glock other and front pin came right out.

Jojos has a bunch of troys and stags on the wall in many different cerakote options. they may be able to get you an other with a 16" barrel or maybe the gun store llc can get you a troy in 16" ( i know they had 14.5")

or you can always re-barrel it yourself and put a quality barrel on it.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TylerImp

• .45, because shooting twice is silly.
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 11:54:27 PM »
[Do you think I'll have the same issue as you had w the stag and having to use jb weld? Im trying to figure out if I should go troy or stag now. Iwas set on stag cuz I thought the upper came off like the pof other. Thisucks I gotta figure a way to unpin it safely w o damage      quote author=Kerensky link=topic=52625.msg417501#msg417501 date=1543755014]
You're welcome.

There's nothing that I've seen that says the take down pins need to be fixed in place.  In fact a buddy has one of the Frontier others which does not have the pin fixed in place.  As long as the overall length is above 26" (unless it's a registered AOW) and the barrel is >12" to exclude it as a pistol under CT law, you should be good to go.  Legally the lower receiver is still considered as only a firearm or "other" regardless of the upper being attached or not.  Only once you go out of a certain set of parameters would the classification be changed to a pistol, rifle, or NFA controlled AOW / SBR.

The pins were able to be removed and replaced and they function normally on both firearms now.  The Troy and Stag both use standard front pins that have the detent hole drilled a bit deeper, and once they are out can be replaced with and any unmodified standard front pin.  The .308 Stag uses proprietary pins which can be ordered from them but I was too lazy to do that so I just filled in the detent hole with JB weld and made it work.  Sometimes the pins come out with little fuss, and sometimes a little more work is needed.  I believe Steevo mentioned in a thread that he could just tap out the pin on a Troy he owns, and around 20 minutes of careful Dremel work was needed to take care of the pin on mine.

Unfortunately I can't speak of accuracy with the Stag.  I put exactly 11rds through the factory 16" barrel before I pulled it and installed the BA 12.5", but Stag barrels are generally quite accurate from what I've read and seen from others.

Really you can't go wrong with either and Stag does have the home team advantage also.  8)
[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 11:55:18 PM by TylerImp »
-Tyler

Online Steevo

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+46)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 11:58:19 PM »
jb weld does not belong anywhere near a firearm .....i would never put my safety or anyone elses around me by using jb weld on a rifle, critical area or not.  buy the correct pin....
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login