Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Does a Sig 1911 ultra-compact 45 fit in a full size Sig 1911 holster?  (Read 488 times)

Online 2BearArms

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 0

Does a Sig 1911 ultra-compact 45 fit in a full size Sig 1911 holster?

I am thinking of buying a Sig 1911 ultra-compact 45 but I am having problems finding the kind of holster I want for it. I need a retention holster and ideally a level 2. I am looking at a Polymer Retention Paddle Holster Level 2 for Sig 1911, figuring if the ultra-compact will fit in the full size holster I can just cut off the extra length.

Does anyone have both a Sig 1911 ultra-compact 45 and a Sig 1911 and a polymer of Kydex holster to test this fit on. A leather holster could just be worn in so it isn’t a good test in my opinion.

Online K. Soze

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
Re: Does a Sig 1911 ultra-compact 45 fit in a full size Sig 1911 holster?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 01:11:03 PM »
Sig 1911s are the same across the board with the following differences..

Traditional vs non traditional slide models
Railed vs non railed models

If you have a sig profile slide on both guns you should be fine.

ETA: yeah its better to test it out i guess, no tell how loose it could be if the holster gets tighter at the end of the slide.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 01:14:43 PM by K. Soze »

Online 2BearArms

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 02:54:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sig 1911s are the same across the board with the following differences..

Traditional vs non traditional slide models
Railed vs non railed models

If you have a sig profile slide on both guns you should be fine.

ETA: yeah its better to test it out i guess, no tell how loose it could be if the holster gets tighter at the end of the slide.

I will be writing the holster manufacturer and hopeful they will know. They aren’t in the USA. So I have no way to test this, that is why I asked the question in hopes that someone would have both a full sized Sig 1911 and a Sig 1911 ultra-compact. Don’t understand the why there don’t seem to be as many choices for the Ultra compact as there are for other guns. I guess they are just rarer. It is almost imposable to find level 2 retention holsters for the Ultra compact. I just have a feeling that there has to be another way around this.

Online Steevo

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+46)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 03:13:42 PM »
Dara holsters offers custom level 2 holsters ( not sure same as you need) for sig 1911 3.3

Online 2BearArms

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 11:48:18 PM »
I am still looking for an answer to this question.

To Steevo thank you for your suggestion, but the Dara Holster is a duty holster. And it also doesn’t fit the Sig 1911 ultra-compact. Also I should have made it clear that I looking for a concealed carry holster not a duty holster.

I wrote to the overseas manufacturer and they didn’t answer my question about an Ultra-compact fitting in a full size holster, they just said that they don’t make one for the Ultra-compact.

One issue I have found with most holsters for a 1911 with a retention strap is most don’t allow you to carry cocked and locked. And that requirement isn’t negotiable.

Thank you to anyone that can help me.

Online Steevo

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 11:55:10 PM »
could try:

davis concealment ( out of the gun store llc in waterbury, makes custom stuff)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login in torrington i think.....

Online 2BearArms

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 09:51:13 AM »
On the Sig Forum I was told that a Colt officers model would fit the Sig Ultra Compact.

I bought a Hogue holster for an Officer model from Amazon and got a really good deal. My new Sig 1911 Ultra Compact 2-tone arrived and I picked it up. I also picked up a cheap In Waste Band (IWB ) holster at the gun store so I have something a little bit more concealable if I need that.

The Hogue holster for the Officer model is a little bit longer then needed for the Sig but I got this so cheap that I don’t mind cutting it down if I want to. I also smoothed out with really fine sand paper the few areas around where you insert the gun into the holster, that felt like they would scratch up the gun if not fixed. It is a bit too tight around the trigger guard and scratching up the front right side of the trigger guard. I am planning on heating up that area of the holster and trying to get that part to fit better. I can’t find it now but I thought I had read that to loosen it up like I am trying to do, i should put wax paper around the spot on the gun where it is tight and insert the gun in the holster after heating up just that area. Does any one have experience with that? I don’t want to just insert the gun naked and scratch up that area on the gun any more.

Thank you for your help.

Online Steevo

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 11:29:06 AM »
BUY A HOLSTER MADE FOR THE GUN.............PERIOD.............

Now a little trim for am rmr cut isn't bad as long as it doesn't interfere with the retention. There are thousands of holster makers out there. typically off the shelf holsters are garbage. I would never want to heat up the trigger area of a holster unless i had an actual kydex press. hell not sure if the hogue model is even kydex or some other blow mold plastic.

What exact hogue did you buy?  i didnt think hogue sells a level 2 retention for a 1911......

1- Buy a quality Holster made for your EXACT firearm
2- why worry about the finish to a point, the gun is a tool for protecting your life ( coming from a guy who loves gucci guns ) finished can be fixed.
3- the cost of a good holster should not be an issue,  $75 for a quality rig is nothing... 

3 things :

1- buy a quality gun you shoot good and can carry comfotably
2- buy a quality holster that holds the gun correctly, comfortable to wear
3- quality gun belt.... without this the other 2 dont matter as Much

Online 2BearArms

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 12:41:32 PM »
BUY A HOLSTER MADE FOR THE GUN.............PERIOD.............

Now a little trim for am rmr cut isn't bad as long as it doesn't interfere with the retention. There are thousands of holster makers out there. typically off the shelf holsters are garbage. I would never want to heat up the trigger area of a holster unless i had an actual kydex press. hell not sure if the hogue model is even kydex or some other blow mold plastic.

What exact hogue did you buy?  i didnt think hogue sells a level 2 retention for a 1911......

1- Buy a quality Holster made for your EXACT firearm
2- why worry about the finish to a point, the gun is a tool for protecting your life ( coming from a guy who loves gucci guns ) finished can be fixed.
3- the cost of a good holster should not be an issue,  $75 for a quality rig is nothing... 

3 things :

1- buy a quality gun you shoot good and can carry comfotably
2- buy a quality holster that holds the gun correctly, comfortable to wear
3- quality gun belt.... without this the other 2 dont matter as Much

This is the holster.
I have spent a lot of hours looking for the type of holster I need. And for this gun there is not much choice. Most leather holsters use a strap for security and that doesn't usually work well with a 1911 carried cocked and locked. So the security type on this holster works great. 

I saw a video yesterday from a custom Kydex holster make telling his customers (if they wanted to do it themselves) how to reshape the holster with a heat gun if they needed adjustments. The adjustment I want to make is so slight that I see no reason that I can't do it myself. The fit is almost perfect. And if I mess it up no big lose.

Online Steevo

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 01:11:54 PM »
okay.....  messing with a trigger/trigger guard area of a holster isnt the best idea. i would personally return to amazon or wherever and buy something that dits perfect from the start.

** originally you said you wanted a level 2 holster.  regular level 1 is a normal holster.  there are so many custom kydex holster makers in this state alone as thousands elsewhere around the country.  sorry but and almost fit holster is not a quality holster......  almost can be very dangerous when it comes to drawing a firearm if needed as well as re-holstering it. there has been many ND's lately with people re-holstering in the news that a almost fitting holster should NEVER be used.......

these local guys like davis concealment, m2 tactical can make kydex holsters for that specific gun for not much more $$$.....

at the end of the day its your holster and decision, I just hope i dont here of anyone local shooting their leg or d*ck off in the future.....

***  if the holster fits like shit,  probably shouldnt use it ... or something like that  LOL    ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:12:15 PM by Steevo »

Online 2BearArms

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 03:39:15 PM »
okay.....  messing with a trigger/trigger guard area of a holster isnt the best idea. i would personally return to amazon or wherever and buy something that dits perfect from the start.

** originally you said you wanted a level 2 holster.  regular level 1 is a normal holster.  there are so many custom kydex holster makers in this state alone as thousands elsewhere around the country.  sorry but and almost fit holster is not a quality holster......  almost can be very dangerous when it comes to drawing a firearm if needed as well as re-holstering it. there has been many ND's lately with people re-holstering in the news that a almost fitting holster should NEVER be used.......

these local guys like davis concealment, m2 tactical can make kydex holsters for that specific gun for not much more $$$.....

at the end of the day its your holster and decision, I just hope i dont here of anyone local shooting their leg or d*ck off in the future.....

***  if the holster fits like shit,  probably shouldnt use it ... or something like that  LOL    ;D

Thank you for your words of caution. I can understand your concerns as I have seen some scary things some people do.

Hogue uses the term "ARS Stage 1" they don't use the term "Level #" that I can find. And there is a bit of inconsistency as to what most companies definitions are of the different levels of retention.

Here is a copy and paste from their website. "Product description. Hogue's polymer formed carry holster has a patented Automatic Retention System (ARS). When the handgun is holstered, it locks into place, providing an extra level of security over the standard open top friction holsters."

I can hold the holster with the gun in it upside down and bang on the holster in different places and the gun won't fall out. But when wearing the holster and pressing down on the thumb release and pulling up on the gun it comes out with ease. If I pull up on the holstered gun without pressing the thumb release the gun won't come out.

So this holster does have active retention, not just a tightly squeezed indentation around the trigger guard.

I am not a fan of striker fired guns because I like to feel the hammer as I holster a gun, so I know for sure that the trigger hasn't caught on anything. We were taught to draw without looking at your weapon and re-holster without looking at the holster and that is where the thumb on the hammer comes in.

I came equipped with the appropriate number of holes in my body in the right places and I have no interest in adding any more holes.  :cheesy:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:39:42 PM by 2BearArms »