Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Self Defense in CT...  (Read 941 times)

Online JBear

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Self Defense in CT...
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Trying to define what is acceptable response to being assaulted is the issue here. Currently the state indicates that one can defend themselves up to a point. The state says chasing down the attacker after they have left the scene and exacting physical revenge is generally not allowed. It may suck that the attacker isn't punished but that's the way the laws are currently written

I'm not arguing how they're written, I'm arguing that they're bullshit.

What happens if it turns out the victim shoots/stabs/assaults the wrong person?

Please take this back. Your knowledge of the law is an invaluable resource here, and I respect you too much to accept life in a world where you would field [the #1 argument the anti-gun crowd uses against private citizens being allowed to carry firearms at all] to explain why I should lose the right to respond with lethal force as soon as my attacker decides to stop attacking and run away. What's next, "what if the police think you're the bad guy"? "What if you accidentally shoot yourself"? These "what if's" are only intended to disarm the populace, not to keep people safe or uphold law and order. This debate is less about the law than philosophy.

OK. Then where should the line be drawn? Chase the attacker for 10 yards, 20, 100? 
Should the victim only shoot the attacker in the front, or is the back allowed? See where this is going?

I see it going in the direction of liberty. Where should the line be drawn? That bridge goes both ways. Should it be your licensing state line? Town line? Property line? Your front door? Only the room in your house where you were attacked? The problem with drawing these lines at all is that they only protect the guilty not the victim, and that is ass-goddamn-backwards. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who initiates unprovoked force against someone else starts a ball rolling, and everything that happens after that should be on them. I'm not saying it's appropriate to shoot someone for graffiti on your front porch. I am saying you should be able to hold them at gunpoint until the police arrest them, and if they won't be held you should be able to do exactly what the police would do in your situation: shoot them.

Listen, I'm not in perfect agreement with our resident crazy cantankerous old bastard, but in this argument I definitely favor his side as a matter of principle if not semantics. The victimized should not fear punishment for defending themselves or their family or property, or have to memorize the library of Victim Etiquette to stay out of jail. I'm not endorsing civilian posses or vigilante hunting missions to track down aggressors, if they get away there's nothing lost if police do their job and track them down; but I see no moral reason why I should be compelled to let them get away. If someone grabs my wife's purse and takes off down the road, I won't say "my life isn't in danger, I'll just call the police and hope they can get the purse back". I'm going to chase them, and not stop until I catch them or they lose me. As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as "leaving the scene". The scene goes as far as the criminal does until they are caught and arrested. If it takes me ten blocks to catch them, the crime scene is ten blocks long. If the cops show up I'll get out of their way, but I'm not going to sit on my heels and wait for them when my attacker is rightfuckingthere. The idea is not revenge, the idea is don't let the criminal walk- and in a just world it would be well within my rights to do whatever is necessary to keep them from walking until police can take over.

But it will be like teaching a pig to sing, a waste of your time, and you'll only succeed in anoying the pig.

Online imahangtia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2018, 10:20:51 AM »
....our resident crazy cantankerous old bastard.....

That would be SafeActionJackson.

Online JBear

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2018, 04:31:46 PM »
HA! I may have been born in the dark, but it wasn't last night.
But it will be like teaching a pig to sing, a waste of your time, and you'll only succeed in anoying the pig.

Online Bottom Rung

• Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2018, 07:52:08 AM »
I think we need to start a poll......

.....and I don’t think SAJ’s name would come up.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:20:04 AM by Bottom Rung »