Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Vortex Spitfire AR 1x  (Read 720 times)

Online frosty2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Vortex Spitfire AR 1x
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 02:36:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've picked up a few Primary Arms scopes over the last year or so. Very happy with them so far.

I'm a fan of my hs503g acss, I will say the first one they sent me had a battery killing defect but I sent it back and have had no issues since.

Offline BigBluefish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 04:25:50 PM »
Well, got the PC Carbine & Spitfire out the range the other day.

Easiest scope sight-in ever. First 3 low and left at 25 yards. Adjusted the windage and elevation one (ONCE!) and the next three were in 1 ragged hole in the 9 & 10 rings.

That usually doesn't happen.

So, at 50 yards, yeah, I can dump 9mm slugs into the center of various silhouette targets with boring regularity. Well, not really boring, but you get the idea.

Next time out I'll try to see just how accurately I can get it to group at that range. And then give it a try at 75 yards. Which I think is about my limit with no magnification in the optic  and the 9mm chambering.

So, yeah, it is in some ways a centerfire 10/22. But
I see this more as the 21st century equivalent of the .30 M1 Carbine, though a bit clunkier and not as aesthetically pleasing.  But yes, the takedown feather is a big plus.

If this were in 10mm, or even .357 Sig, with a 5 round mag, it would make a decent 75 yard deer gun, though I'd switch to a conventional 1 - 3x scope.  I'm sure with a conventional post/crosshair reticle I could get it to group far more tightly than I can with the Spitfire.

But it's a 9 and it's fine for what it is.

The little carbine burbled through 100 rounds of WWB 124s without a hitch.

Surprisingly enough, it has some muzzle jump. I guess I knew it would, but I was having a tough time believing it, being only a 9mm. i can hold it on target fine, but...something with so little energy, IMHO, should stay on target like a .22.  So, I might stick a brake on the end of the barrel.

Online CT_Yankee

• Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 07:49:36 PM »
Nice update!  Let us know how the brake works out.

Been eyeing the pc carbine for awhile.

Online Bottom Rung

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 08:49:58 PM »
BigBluefish,

I am with you on the recoil and muzzle jump.  I purchased a Ruger PCC last month.  When I took it to the range I was a little surprised at the recoil and muzzle jump.  Like you, I was just thinking "big 10/22".

As for your comment concerning the M1 Carbine comparison, I could not agree more.  My Ruger sits right next to my M1 Carbine in the safe.  Two very different firearm designs, yet very similar shooting experiences and handling.  Although, the iron sights are better on the Ruger.

I will say that I was quite surprised at the lack of bullet drop at 75 and 100 yards.  I was shooting 124gr Freedom Munitions FMJ and 124gr S&B FMJ.  We have a popper with a 10" plate on it at 100 yards and I was able to hit it regularly with the iron sights holding on the plate.  I did try some 158gr S&B subsonic and the drop was quite noticeable between 50 and 75 yards.  To be clear, we're not talking 5.56 flat shooting, but there was far less arc in the trajectory than I expected.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised as well.

Offline BigBluefish

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 06:27:24 PM »
I was looking at some charts online and it seems with a 115 gr slug at 1350 zeroed at 25 yards it should be something like 3" high at 50 then back at zero at 100. I'll have to give it a try.
No, not .223 trajectory, but I think not a lot worse than (if not as authoritative) as my .44 Mag Ruger carbines, which didn't bother me.