Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: buying gun from NY state with Conn permit.  (Read 555 times)

Offline bshots1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 0
buying gun from NY state with Conn permit.
« on: May 09, 2018, 05:26:38 PM »

family member pass away and he was living in NY state, I would like to purchase his service side arm so I can give it to his children when he grow up, I am in Conn with permit, any idea how to go about?? thx for the help you all!!

Online BerettaBoy213

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Highly Active Member
  • revolverholic
Re: buying gun from NY state with Conn permit.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 05:32:11 PM »
If a handgun must be transferred ffl- to- FFL. The estate will have to find a N.Y. FFL to ship to one near you. Make sure there's no hicap mags or anything which would run afoul of either N.Y. or CT law.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Online JP90Talon

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 05:38:51 PM »
Careful about the wording there....."buying something for someone down the road" might be considered a straw purchase. 

If the family member is giving it to you since you have a permit all they need to do is go to a NY FFL fill out the paperwork and pay the fees and shipping to have it shipped to a CT FFL where you will have to fill out paperwork and pay the fee.  Then as mentioned as long as it isnt a prohibited firearm or have magazine over 10rds you are good to go.
Dalai Lama: "But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 09:02:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
family member pass away and he was living in NY state, I would like to purchase his service side arm so I can give it to his children when he grow up, I am in Conn with permit, any idea how to go about??
NY is a special kind of hell for handguns of the recently departed. NY police typically will show up and confiscate ALL handguns listed on someone's NY pistol permit. Then the family has to work with police to get the guns transected to someone else who is legally allowed to possess them.. If the recently departed did not have a valid NY handgun permit they were not legally allowed to possess a handgun (certain exceptions apply). You need to check with the family to see if the handgun is mentioned in the will.

If you can get the handgun transferred it MUST go through an FFL in the buyer/receiver's home state. This is federal law. Generally for NY the NY resident would have the gun transferred from a NY FFL to the FFL in another state. This way the gun gets off the NY resident's permit.

If we are talking about a legal transfer from a NY resident to a CT resident who wishes to transfer the handgun to someone else, that gets a bit sticky since depending on how one performs the various transfers it could be construed to be a "straw purchase". Best to either "gift" the handgun to another person or actually sell the firearm to another person. Of course that person must be able to legally possess and legally obtain a handgun. If that person is a NY resident they MUST obtain a NY pistol permit first (takes upwards of a year) and one has to transfer the handgun to a NY FFL first for that FFL to transfer the handgun to the NY resident who has obtained permission to put that pistol on their NY pistol permit.

As I said NY is a special kind of hell when it comes to legally transferring or obtaining handguns.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:03:45 PM by sbhaven »
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Offline bshots1

• Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 11:27:33 AM »
thank you for all the helps!! 

Offline Gator

• No rugers
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Quit your bitchassness
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 11:53:37 AM »
Careful about the wording there....."buying something for someone down the road" might be considered a straw purchase. 

No

Straw purchase is buying a gun for someone who is legally ineligible to buy one
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery

Online Will1776

• Highly Active Member
  • Sic Semper Tyrannis
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 03:18:18 PM »
No

Straw purchase is buying a gun for someone who is legally ineligible to buy one

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:20:04 PM by Will1776 »