Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Private transfer through ffl, or person to person  (Read 237 times)

Online Sturgeon

• Trade Count: (2)
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 0
Private transfer through ffl, or person to person
« on: April 14, 2018, 08:23:45 AM »

Good morning.
I was just wondering what the general opinion is on doing a person to person handgun transfer.  Do you prefer to do the paperwork and call despp yourself, or do you prefer to meet at an ffl and go through them. 

I have done private transfers in the past by doing all paperwork and calling despp.  I was just wondering if there is any benefit to going through an ffl. 
Both private and ffl have to call for an authorization number which is giving after running a nics check correct?

Thoughts?

Online Silverbear

• Forum Contributor
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Highly Active Member
Re: Private transfer through ffl, or person to person
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 09:28:33 AM »
The only advantage I can see to going through an FFL is a little additional privacy, in that you are not providing the purchaser with an SP3 with all of your information on it.  Instead, he will get one with the FFL's info.  The FFL obviously will have all your info in their records, but if it's a shop you patronize regularly, it's no loss as they have it already.

The downside is the additional expense.
"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."

Claire Wolfe

Offline M1A_All_Day

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Highly Active Member
Re: Private transfer through ffl, or person to person
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 09:36:32 AM »
DIY for private sale in-person, in-state.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I like to get copies of the buyer's permit in-advance, then fill out the DPS-3C copies and DPS-67C before we meet up.
You'll get a big red flag if they will not produce a copy of their permit up-front.
The biggest problem can be getting through to the authorization number line on weekends- I had to redial 70-something times a few weeks ago on a Saturday afternoon.

Use your head. Talk with the buyer and get a read. Don't meet from your private property unless you are comfortable with the buyer. It is a not uncommon burglary tactic to buy something from someone, having met at you home or private property to buy, glean some info, then someone else hits when you're not home. Don't risk your firearms.

If you meet to sell somewhere in-between, DON'T use a Home Depot parking lot or something so visible. Be discrete. Right or wrong, any glimpse of a firearm in public is going to get someone to call it in.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:37:27 AM by M1A_All_Day »
"We are not the same. I'm an American, you're a sick ahole."