Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Do gun stores frown upon FFL transfers?  (Read 1869 times)

Online thejimdaddy

• Forum Contributor
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Will work for a new gun.....
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Do gun stores frown upon FFL transfers?
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2018, 05:44:16 PM »
i always wondered the attitude on this too.  if you tgibk about it the transfer fee is pretty quick money.. i always look for used guns or deals, sometimes its as innocent as the exact model not available,  like a black revolver, usually not in stock.  You can tell which stores dont care and others who think they are losing business because of it

Offline Jake

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2018, 08:44:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wife bought a Walther CCP and Ruger LCP the other day from LGS. Net price would have been the same after transfer fee.

Which LGS?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… "  Cesare Beccaria 1764

Offline CJK440

• Highly Active Member
  • Guns don't kill people. People kill people...
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 12:16:41 PM »
There is no mandated price on transfers, the vendor sets the price. Not sure how they would frown upon performing a service that they set the price at. A transfer that takes 10 minutes and charges $25 is $150/hr.

Online 2BearArms

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 09:07:49 AM »
I was at one store and asked about transfers and I thought their fee was a little bit high. But they also said they don’t do transfers if they sell the same thing. It sort of makes sense to me. But I will never transfer anything there because of their price. And the item I wanted they have to order and their price was higher then if I bought direct from the manufacturer at list price and found someone that would charge a more reasonable price for a transfer.

Their store their rules. And my money my choice who to deal with.
The following users thanked this post: Glock84

Offline Supes3

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2018, 10:28:01 AM »

Their store their rules. And my money my choice who to deal with.

I see some shops choosing a lower transfer fee because they want people in their store, others who don't transfer if they have the item in their store and others who have high transfers on certain items like prebans because that is what their shop focuses on in terms of doing custom builds.  Everyone's got their reasons and that's great, if I have an issue with their fees or their customer service I just don't shop there.

I don't really have any set rules ... sometimes I'll pay extra at a shop because they are a great local shop with awesome customer service, or because I did a transfer from a cheap online purchase through them and as a result do a purchase through them to thank them.

And sometimes ... I like to just try the process from other shops to see how the experience and process is through them.  Typically I'll spend the extra to help support some of these shops and to get the purchase that day instead of having to wait for a new range toy.  :tat: :tat:

By doing this, I have found a bunch of shops close by and far away that I'll never shop at and others that I wouldn't hesistate purchasing from. 
"It's a nasty truth, but those who seek to inflict harm are not fazed by gun control laws." - Ronald Reagan

Online SafeActionJackson

• Mover of threads!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2018, 12:39:14 PM »
I've done business with many local shops over the years, a couple of years ago I purchased a firearm from one of our forum inmates who would only do the transfer thru an FFL (no worries, as he wanted to check out one of our LGS anyways).  He came out to one of my regular shops, and they didn't charge either of us for the transfer.  During the SH shortage this store also sold me a case of .22lr.... which at the time was a f'n unicorn..... these things mean more to me than saving a nickle here and there, yeah I get it if its several hundred dollars or something like that.... you gotta do what you gotta do.

Honestly other than a few hard to find at the time Glocks, I haven't purchased many firearms online.  Most of the time my local shop will pretty much match the price within reason, often making for a hassle free purchase.

The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting ~Sun Tzu

Offline RevlimiterRuss

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Nothing worse than a Raging Judge
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2018, 07:58:40 AM »
Which LGS?

Greyson
“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.”
~George Washington

Offline bizkitjmd1

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2018, 07:24:08 AM »
Ill do transfers for people in the western part of the state. $40 or $20 for first responders
I can also order firearms, ammo and other accessories on a case by case basis.
Owner. Southern Connecticut Firearms, LLC
Bethel, CT
Dealer for Spartan Armor Systems

Online imahangtia

• Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2018, 08:18:51 AM »
Here in eastern CT G&B Gunworks in Plainfield has become my go to place for tranfers.  Works from his home, so no storefront.  Rifle or pistol first time is $25 or $35 (can't remember).  After that $20.

George is also a class 3 FFL for you rich kids that like machineguns.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Online joelcramer

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 11:26:16 AM »
Ill do transfers for people in the western part of the state. $40 or $20 for first responders
I can also order firearms, ammo and other accessories on a case by case basis.
Really you give first responders a better price? Why? Generally first responders who buy guns are cops. These tend to be the most selfish and entitled group of people in the country. They think of their badges as "Badge Americard" used to avoid so many smaller offenses you and I could never escape. When has a group of CT LE ever been formed and spoken out publicly in support of gun rights? Like the Sheriffs in NY did with the SAFE ACT? What has CT LE done for the second amendment here in CT? I have been selling guns for over 20 years and involved with second amendment issues for more than that. I have never seen any police officers step up as a group. Sure there are some officers who step up at hearings and identify themselves as LE and I applaud them. But as a group they deserve nothing special. I do not buy into the "They are hero's" crap pushed by them and the media. At best they are courageous to take on a job that might put them in between you and a criminal, maybe one with a gun. But most will never draw their gun in anger and will spend their time responding after the fact.
I have lost most of my LE customers after 2013 because I called them out face to face and put them on the spot during the last assault weapon bullshit. They all claimed they don't like the assault weapons ban and would not enforce it and they did not want to make waves (by trying to get his coworkers together in opposition) in the dept because he did not want to piss off the chief because he still needs his job.
I give the military a break because they don't get paid much and I respect the fact they volunteered for service.
There I made another unpopular statement.
Maybe that makes me a fudd.

Offline Jake

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2018, 11:30:17 AM »
"Maybe that makes me a fudd."  Nah.  Fudd's support banning evil black guns.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… "  Cesare Beccaria 1764