Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Safe suggestions  (Read 352 times)

Online Husejr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 0
Safe suggestions
« on: February 05, 2018, 12:27:37 PM »

Hello all,

So I have a bit of an issue. I have recently started my firearm collection and im accumulating a little more than my .5 cubic foot safe can contain. My question would be how cheap is too cheap? I see Stack On stuff at decent prices(sub~$300) but I see issues with reviews about locks and hinges messing up. Are they worth it?

I'm on the second floor so even if i could afford a liberty or something similar anything heavy duty I'd worry about weight. I have 1 .22 rifle and (whenever my orders get in) 3 handguns. Any suggestions?

Online SafeActionJackson

• Mover of threads!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Safe suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 05:05:31 PM »
Reasons to have a safe:

Restrict access to firearms from others in house residents.
Protect firearms against theft.
Protect firearms against fire/natural disasters.

I'm guessing you hardly have a large investment considering the number of firearms you mentioned, so unless you plan on expanding your collection a large fire proof safe will probably not be required, or make sense considering your current housing situation.

Stack-on cabinets are just that, I'd hardly consider them safes however they can restrict access to children and other home guests.  They will surely not stop someone who is determined or aware of the cabinets contents and specifically targets you for your weapons.  If you choose this option it will need to be mounted to a wall, and or weighted down to prevent it from simple being carried away.

Another option would be to get a smaller style safe and store your handgun in it, maybe remove the bolt or a component from your .22 rifle that would render it useless, use a trigger lock and store the component that was removed in your small safe, with a trigger lock as add protection on the rifle.

Keep in mind that small safes can also be carted off fairly easy.  Another option would be a small safe and gun cabinet, when I was renting that was what I did, once I purchased a home additional security measures were taken as I had more flexibility and less restriction on what I could accommodate.

Hope this helps a little.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 05:08:25 PM by SafeActionJackson »
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting ~Sun Tzu

Online Steevo

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 05:10:05 PM »
cabelas has a good selection of smaller and mid size safes, youll be able to see which you can get up to the 2nd floor, or use a nice appliance hand truck with straps......  there are some nice safes for reasonable money in the 300-500 range there and hoffmans.....

Online Mustang

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 08:24:18 PM »
There is a thread I made on this round Christmas. Safes only delay the determined person from getting in. There are very good safes out there such as Liberty Safes, which I like. Stack On does make a better safe then just their sheet metal safes. Winchester, Cannon, Sentry, Mesa would be some others. There is one other - Snap Safe, where its a modular design and can be built in your apartment. What you want to spend will be the big factor of safe buying.

Would definitely need to look into the weight of the safe and the weight load of the floors will handle. Lets not forget getting it up to the second floor. For a practical safe for the time being a combination lock Stack On or Winchester. They will still be heavy by s few hundred pounds where two or three people will be able to muscle it up the stairs, though no 700lb monster.

Some other options to look into - If money is the issue, someone here was selling a used safe. Might be good to take a look in the classified section here to see if its what you want. You might even look into those Knaack or JobBox gang boxes that construction sites use for their tools. Their lighter, good steel, and you can bolt / lag them to your floor. On the job site we even install some extra deterrents such with installing other clasps for locks or pipe over the top of the box through bigger clasps. Not fire resistant though most of the fire resistant safes use just sheetrock. They're better then the thin sheet metal stack on boxes imo.
Look on craigslist or the pawn shops for the boxes and I'm sure you'd find one lower then the price of new.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:27:53 PM by Mustang »
"Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power, have in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny..." - T.Jefferson

Online msg1956

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 10:32:25 PM »
As others have said, it is all about the cost.   If you have several thousands of dollars worth of guns, a more expensive safe might be in order.  But if you only have a couple of easily replaced firearms, a locker like a Stack on unit might do.

Almost any safe can be defeated with a little time and a Saws all/grinder/fire ax/large pry bar.  About the best you can do is slow them down, and discourage a quick smash and grab type perp. 

That is why I go for a layered defense.  My guns are stored in safes in a room with my two Belgian Malinois dogs.  The house is alarmed, with all kinds of sensors.  Plus cameras that text me pictures if anyone is in the yard.  Perfect defense?  Maybe not, but short of staying home 24/7, I don't know what else I can do that doesn't boarder on paranoia! :evil:   

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 10:34:12 PM by msg1956 »
Politicians, like diapers, should be changed frequently and for the same reasons.

Online Husejr

• Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 11:56:39 PM »
Thanks everyone I guess the part I was not thinking about was really everything I have so far is very easily replaceable and im probably putting to much thought into it.  And the key component right now is restricting access to those around. I can get a stack on and bolt it down and my job will be done. And of course layers of security are always a plus, alarms pistols and pitbulls.

Thanks everyone like always.

Online Supes3

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 07:46:27 AM »
Hey I don't think you are not overthinking it.  Responsible gun owners should be thinking about the best way to secure their firearms.

Just to add my .02, think about how long you'll be at your current residence, how many guns you WILL have in the near future and then approach it from there.  Can't agree enough with all of the layered security comments, as well as some of the previous threads that touched upon that as well.  Any point of security can be beaten or fail. Since I have implemented multiple layers of security on my property I feel much better and know I've done my due diligence and securing my firearms.
“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood on gun control

Online joelcramer

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 12:39:52 PM »
Check out these people. They are the Ikea of gun safes. I have seen them they are not so bad.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online Husejr

• Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 07:29:02 AM »
Just a quick update. Found the Field and Stream safes by Dickssporting goods on sale. Got a 24+4 for  $449.98. I didnt know safes aren't taxable in ct. Anyway thank you everyone for the input.

Online Mustang

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 10:52:29 AM »
Safes are not taxable in Connecticut.

Exemptions from Sales and Use Taxes

Firearm (gun) safety devices (safes, lock boxes, trigger and barrel locks). Conn. Gen. Stat. §12-412(101).
"Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power, have in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny..." - T.Jefferson