Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Pistol permit required for Primer purchase at Graf's?  (Read 204 times)

Offline ridenclimb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 0
Pistol permit required for Primer purchase at Graf's?
« on: January 11, 2018, 04:07:49 PM »

Recently went to place an order for some pistol primers at Graf's.  After getting almost all the way through order I got a message that primers can not be shipped without a pistol permit on file with them.  I have been reloading for decades and have never come across this and have purchased from Graf's and many other vendors in the past.  I know there have been laws passed about pistol permit requirements for loaded ammunition purchases but I have never heard of laws actually being passed about components ( primers, powder, etc)

Kind of irked me so I cancelled the Graf's order and ordered elsewhere even though they were more expensive.  The place that I actually ordered from had no such requirement.   If this was an actual law I feel like I would have run across this before so I suspect it is a company policy rather than a law.  Anyway, I feel like there are already enough hoops to jump through and a company electing to voluntarily put up even more roadblocks didn't sit right with me.  They are free to do as they please and I am free to vote with my wallet and not support such policies.

Anyone else run across something like this?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:09:07 PM by ridenclimb »

Online SafeActionJackson

• Mover of threads!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Pistol permit required for Primer purchase at Graf's?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 06:00:38 PM »
Not required by the state, so I'd fine another place also.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting ~Sun Tzu

Online joelcramer

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:01:50 PM »
It is their company so they can make any demands they want to. It does not matter what the law says. It is a company decision. Follow their guidelines or go somewhere else to shop. If you want to pay more just because you feel slighted then suit yourself. Like cutting off your nose to spite your face. But it is your money, I bet Graf's will not even notice you walked away. So who do you think is suffering?

It happens all the time. Some online gun stores will not ship any semi automatic rifles to CT.
These companies are trying to avoid running afoul of any laws. So unless they hire a bunch of lawyers to examine every states laws. Then do it again every 6 or so months just to insure they are current then there is no way they can be sure they are in compliance with 51 sets of different laws (50 states and federal) just to avoid breaking them.

Offline CTSixshot

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:43:50 PM »
Sadly, we'll probably see more of this action in the future. You can play by their rules, until they become excessive, or go elsewhere (hopefully, we will have these options in the future).
Unless you have issues with S&B primers, keep watching for sales at Cabela's, as they often sell for $19.99 per 1000. It should cost less to drive there than shipping and hazmat fees.

Offline ridenclimb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:09:56 PM »
 CTSixshot - I snagged a bunch of the S&B primers when cabelas had them cheap.  In fact I just loaded 1k of them this week. :). They seem to go bang just fine. Going to bulk up the reserves over the winter.  Thanks for the replies.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:10:26 PM by ridenclimb »

Online edgephoto

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Guns don't kill people. People kill people...
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:08:39 AM »
S&B Primers work fine. I have used them.

I buy them at Cabela's. I wait until the go on sale. Then I use a $20 off $150 coupon and use my gift cards. I watch eBay for the discounted gift cards.

I buy the gift cards from a vendor on eBay. I have been using this seller for several years now. No issues. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sometimes they are $100 for $82 and other times $100 for $80. Occasionally they will have $50 cards for $40. Save that seller and keep checking.

Using this method of combining a sale, coupon and discounted gift cards I stock up on powder and primers. At the end of the transaction I usually beat online for primers and match online for powder with having to buy so much.

The gift cards are the key to making Cabelas prices better. otherwise they are crazy expensive for everything. Even the bargain cave is a joke. You can find everything they sell somewhere else for much cheaper.