Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: King 33 Closure  (Read 2365 times)

Online mu2bdriver

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Everyday I wake up this State sucks a little more.
  • Referrals: 0
Re: King 33 Closure
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 04:07:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Damn, that's too bad.  I was just looking to pick a class to go shoot up there.  Been meaning too for a long time.
Same here. I'm glad I didn't put a deposit down or sign up for anything.

Online Highwayman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Keep the 2nd amendment alive
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 07:48:24 AM »
I met Chris Fields shortly after he opened King33. He trained me to be a confident armed member of society. I think the training facility he brought to Southington is one of the best in the country open to the general public.
With his background and demeanor I have extreme doubts about him being a larcenous thief. I googled the name Salomon And Eva Bendayan and was shocked at what I found. I am assuming that the names returned in the search are the ones listed as plaintiffs in the suit.
This appears to be a business dispute with someone Chris Fields probably shouldn't have partnered with unless he was desperate to save his company.

Online Turbodreams

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Naugatuck, CT
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 08:55:05 AM »
I met Chris Fields shortly after he opened King33. He trained me to be a confident armed member of society. I think the training facility he brought to Southington is one of the best in the country open to the general public.
With his background and demeanor I have extreme doubts about him being a larcenous thief. I googled the name Salomon And Eva Bendayan and was shocked at what I found. I am assuming that the names returned in the search are the ones listed as plaintiffs in the suit.
This appears to be a business dispute with someone Chris Fields probably shouldn't have partnered with unless he was desperate to save his company.

Google provides 2 profiles of a Salomon Bendayan. A Venezualan real estate developer in Miami who seems to be hooked to money laundering shit. And a guy in Brooklyn , NY (where Logic Defense is HQed). There was no info that definitively says theyre one in the same or two different people.  :dunno:

Offline joelcramer

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 09:45:22 AM »
How many training facility's have you been to? How do you know it is is one of the best in the country open to the general public.

Just knowing about the lack of ventilation makes it a dangerous place to work. Or to spend a lot of time in. That alone would drop its standing well below others. There are two components to every training facility, one is the facility its self the other is the staff. I have often wondered about the value of military firearms training to the average citizen or even LE. I have seen this for myself while talking to some of these trainers. The tactics they described sounded like a good way to get dead. I know a couple of professional LE trainers and they tell me military firearms training is almost useless to LE and sure to get cops killed.

The problem right now is that every half assed operator who spent 6 or 8 years in some mysterious special forces group is now a high speed tier one (did I use that right) instructor. The market is glutted with instructors. Both ex military and ex police.

Online SafeActionJackson

• Mover of threads!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »
How many training facility's have you been to? How do you know it is is one of the best in the country open to the general public.

I've been to a few, and while K33 had a unique facility it was far from state of the art, and I honestly can't understand how he was allowed to operate that place like he did, and how he was able to even get zoning approval for a range without proper ventilation.

Just knowing about the lack of ventilation makes it a dangerous place to work. Or to spend a lot of time in. That alone would drop its standing well below others. There are two components to every training facility, one is the facility its self the other is the staff. I have often wondered about the value of military firearms training to the average citizen or even LE. I have seen this for myself while talking to some of these trainers. The tactics they described sounded like a good way to get dead. I know a couple of professional LE trainers and they tell me military firearms training is almost useless to LE and sure to get cops killed.

It would be less than ideal to spend any amount of time on that range.  I've spent 6 days training or working on state of the art range (several times a year), I can tell you without a doubt you would have a much greater exposure to lead in an hour or two in the Southington facility than I would get from a week on a true "state of the art" facility, you could literally taste it after a short time (not the only range that I've been on that suffered from poor ventilation), but surely does not demonstrate a state of art facility..... if anything it shows some key corners were cut.

I won't get into the weeds about the types of training they offered, and via what format.  I took several classes with K33 over the years, one I was extremely disappointed in, as was a friend who also attended.  A couple years later I attended another class taught in conjunction with and at K33.  This class was much better and we did live fire, sims, and troygate.  Overall I was pretty happy with the second class.

The problem right now is that every half assed operator who spent 6 or 8 years in some mysterious special forces group is now a high speed tier one (did I use that right) instructor. The market is glutted with instructors. Both ex military and ex police.

Having spent 6 days at Sig Academy with HSP in May of this year, I can tell you for sure there are top notch instructors out there that can cater and tailor there training to the civilian clients.  In these two classes civilians only made up about 20% of the class, but scenario's were reviewed from multiple stand points.

To Joel's point, not all instructors are created equal.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:03:34 AM by SafeActionJackson »
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting ~Sun Tzu

Online imahangtia

• Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 10:18:43 AM »
I thought of going to that facility for the matches, but never got around to it and am glad I didn't.

People here on CTGT praised King 33 like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Because of that I had the impression they were among the best.  I don't remember reading anything about poor ventilation.

I've been on the interweb since the late 80's, so I should know better than to believe anything on the net even here on CTGT.  It is sad.

Offline joelcramer

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 10:26:57 AM »
It is important to remember people sling praise around with very little knowledge of other facilities. So most of them have no basis to make any comparison. They liked the instructor, they think the content is important so that is the end. Its the greatest place in the world.

The only classes I was tempted to take there were the medical related ones.

Online SafeActionJackson

• Mover of threads!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 10:39:30 AM »
It is important to remember people sling praise around with very little knowledge of other facilities. So most of them have no basis to make any comparison. They liked the instructor, they think the content is important so that is the end. Its the greatest place in the world.

The only classes I was tempted to take there were the medical related ones.

I'd add that if you only have been exposed to a single training company (or single session), your opinion is based on extremely limited experience.  Often when people get introduced to training (or competition) it may be the first time they shot on the move or from cover... or drawn a weapon from the holster (not things you can normally do on flat ranges).... so yeah, they've gotten the chance to experience some new avenues in the shooting world, and I think this often resonates with newer shooters who form a bond with the "first".

I also missed the medical class/lock picking.... along with shooting from the vehicle with windshield installed vehicle defense class that was morbidly fascinating to me for some reason.

While not always the case, I've found that you get what you pay for in general when taking training.  Six days of training at Sig Academy with HSP wasn't cheap, but I feel it's the best money I've spend on anything firearm/training related.

Online Supes3

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2017, 10:42:09 AM »
Are there any training facilities or classes around our area (neighboring states as well) that you (individuals who have attended multiple facilities/classes) would consider top notch, maybe not the best in the country but all around valueable training?

Online SafeActionJackson

• Mover of threads!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2017, 10:51:50 AM »
When it comes to facilities in our area, I'd probably say Sig Academy is by far the best... if not the only show in town when it comes to our region of the country.

Most top notch training companies provide training all over the country, HSP is out of Arizona.... but did (2) three day classes at Sig.... both sold out (and had 40-60 people on the wait list, for a class of 20).

It really comes down to what you want to learn, and then look for an authoritative source/industry expert.  I know Blue Trails has hosted several classes by well known reputable trainers/companies over the years.

Offline joelcramer

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2017, 11:01:14 AM »
Smith & Wesson in Springfield also offers training. Massad Ayoob runs the Lethal Force Institute in NH.
I have never taken a class at any of these so I have no input on them.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:02:24 AM by joelcramer »