Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Massachusetts Laws  (Read 2285 times)

Offline SafeActionJackson

• Mover of threads!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Massachusetts Laws
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 04:43:29 PM »
Hope this helps!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do the firearms have to be in a hard case, or is a locked soft case enough?  Same question for ammunition, I know the ammo must be in a different container, but is a locked bag okay?  They can't be accessible to occupants is the wording I believe, in vehicles without a seperate compartment they need to be in locked in a case, not sure that they specify hard/soft.

I've read various stories that if you're involved in an accident, or stopped along the highway, all firearms would be confiscated and subject to forfeiture.  Wouldn't matter if you are on your way to/from the club, etc.  You would have to go to court and cite FOPA to get the firearms back. This sounds like a story (but who knows with MA gun laws, as I've seen LEO who couldn't get approval for firearm purchases.... yep, Mass state police couldn't buy a gun at S&W), FOPA covers short stops for normal stuff (food, bathroom, gas... I'd guess an accident would fall under this section)... it does not however exempt or cover "standard capacity" mags.

Do all mags have to be 10-round or under?That is my understanding.  I have some higher capacity that were grandfathered-in by CT.Mass isn't CT... so being "grandfathered in CT" will get you a felony charge in MA.

Anyone have experience and/or knowledge about this situation? I travel to and thru MA all the time with firearms..... weapons and ammo are locked in the same case, with firearms also having trigger locks (I don't have a trunk, key to case is on my key ring and in the ignition while driving).  I travel the speed limit, and have never once been stopped in MA for any reason.  If I'm attending a match or training, I keep a copy of the related paper work with me.

Again I hope that helps, but I'm not a lawyer, a FOPA expert, or a Mass gun law expert.  I try and comply as best I can understand/translate the existing statues/laws.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting ~Sun Tzu

Offline Big Kahuna

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 04:47:29 PM »
More Mass Law:
''Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term ''large capacity feeding device'' shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

So you would have to buy 10-round mags for all of your guns, even if you had grandfathered them in here in CT.
And, what do you do with a shotgun that has a 6+ round tubular magazine?
"If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome."  - Cam Edwards

• Mover of threads!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 04:48:36 PM »
Well I am 6 months out of date. Those changes do make it seem to be better. A trip to Boston every 6 years instead of every year is better. But the price is still outrageous and the personal trip is also over the top. This is all about keeping down the out of state permit requests.  I also joined Granby. But for the 1000 yard range. I can do all the other shooting I want right here in CT. But if I do go to a pistol match at Gramby I still don't need to spend the money, time and effort for a permit.

It was passed last year, and went into effect in Jan of 2017.... and yes I completely agree with you that it's still a little to much $$$, but far better than it used to be.

Tomorrow I mail out my non-resident permit application, another forum inmate submitted his a few months ago, did his interview, and as of today.... (2 month'ish mark) hasn't received his permit.  So not only does it cost you, but the hoops you have to jump thru are time consuming..... and the fact that you need a seperate Mass permit class is plain stupid, they don't treat non-residents much worse than MA residents, but in general they treat the entire subject like crap.  When I took my Utah permit class, they offered the MA compliant course for an additional $50.... seemed like a no-brainer at the time, the fact they simplified the renewal process is kind of nice.

• Mover of threads!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 04:54:39 PM »
More Mass Law:
''Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term ''large capacity feeding device'' shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

So you would have to buy 10-round mags for all of your guns, even if you had grandfathered them in here in CT.
And, what do you do with a shotgun that has a 6+ round tubular magazine?

Yep, you have to bring 10 rounders in order to be compliant with the law.  Shotgun portion of the law seems odd, but that is Mass for you.  Being grandfathered to possess standard capacity mags in CT does not make you exempt to any or offer you any type of protection out of state, you must follow all state laws and Mass does not allow for any exception as far as I know.

What would happen if you brought a "standard capacity" feeding device into the state if you did not get stopped? What would happen if you did get stopped?  It comes down to risk vs reward.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 04:55:27 PM by SafeActionJackson »

Online BrianB860

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 04:56:38 PM »
It was passed last year, and went into effect in Jan of 2017.... and yes I completely agree with you that it's still a little to much $$$, but far better than it used to be.

Tomorrow I mail out my non-resident permit application, another forum inmate submitted his a few months ago, did his interview, and as of today.... (2 month'ish mark) hasn't received his permit.  So not only does it cost you, but the hoops you have to jump thru are time consuming..... and the fact that you need a seperate Mass permit class is plain stupid, they don't treat non-residents much worse than MA residents, but in general they treat the entire subject like crap.  When I took my Utah permit class, they offered the MA compliant course for an additional $50.... seemed like a no-brainer at the time, the fact they simplified the renewal process is kind of nice.

I sent my renewal app in 120 days before my permit expired. It's been almost 180 days and I have no permit yet. The person that did my phone interview told me the in-person interview was every 3 years, but I'm glad to see it might really be every 6.

Offline mr380acp

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Highly Active Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 06:51:25 PM »
They really aren't that bad to deal with at all. I have renewed my class a many times just follow their rules and wait that's all

• Mover of threads!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 01:45:27 PM »
MA unrestricted LTC arrived this week, almost two months after my in person interview, and about 3 months after sending in my application  :afro:

Online BrianB860

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 01:52:52 PM »
MA unrestricted LTC arrived this week, almost two months after my in person interview, and about 3 months after sending in my application  :afro:

Congrats. Get your renewal package in now  8)