Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: UPDATE to the whole preban thing  (Read 8756 times)

Online BerettaBoy213

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Highly Active Member
  • revolverholic
  • Referrals: 0
Re: UPDATE to the whole preban thing
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Exactomundo. Old law applies not the new law.

And yet the state provides no copies of the old law, and when you go look up what 202m is refering to it shows something else.  :facepalm:

FUBAR, cluster FUBAR.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:37:20 PM by BerettaBoy213 »

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2017, 06:42:36 AM »
FUBAR, cluster FUBAR.
Yep. Much FUBAR in the AWB statutes. I wonder how many people know that the idiots when they passed PA 13-220 they reapplied the old law's two evil feature ban to any firearm that gets past the current law's single feature ban. There are certain instances where a firearm would get past the single feature ban only to get banned by the old law's two evil feature ban.
 :wall:

"(ix) Any semiautomatic firearm that meets the criteria set forth in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013;"
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Online Durham68

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2017, 02:41:52 PM »
Anyone go to the CCDL meeting? Interested in what Greg Miller had to say.

Online obewan

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2017, 03:14:56 PM »
There will be a video of the presentation on the CCDL website at some point.

Bottom line is that at this time there has been no info from the state in any form.  Part of the presentation was a history of the pre-ban law.

Online BerettaBoy213

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • revolverholic
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2017, 08:08:19 PM »
Yep. Much FUBAR in the AWB statutes. I wonder how many people know that the idiots when they passed PA 13-220 they reapplied the old law's two evil feature ban to any firearm that gets past the current law's single feature ban. There are certain instances where a firearm would get past the single feature ban only to get banned by the old law's two evil feature ban.

"(ix) Any semiautomatic firearm that meets the criteria set forth in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013;"

:dunno: Huh? Best I can interpret that is what is not covered by a one-feature ban can have at most one feature? I know rimfires can have one feature, so is that what your talking about?

Part of the presentation was a history of the pre-ban law.

That sounds like it could take all night.

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2017, 07:00:55 AM »
:dunno: Huh? Best I can interpret that is what is not covered by a one-feature ban can have at most one feature? I know rimfires can have one feature, so is that what your talking about?
Yes. The legislature added that line (that I posted above in italics) in an effort to reban full featured rimfire AR's that were no longer banned when they enacted PA 13-3. In the process they created a SECOND set of feature bans a semiautomatic detachable magazine firearm has to get past once it gets past the current single feature ban.

For example. If you have a semiautomatic detachable magazine rifle (of post 9/13/94 manufacturer) that has both a threaded barrel and a bayonet lug it would be considered an AW even though it doesn't have any banned features listed in the feature ban section for rifles in the current 53-202a.

Another example. You have a post 9/13/94 manufactured semiautomatic shotgun that has a pistol grip and a magazine holding more than five rounds. It too would be an AW because the old law still applies even though it gets past the semiauto shotgun section of the current 53-202a.

Its fracking stupid that the legislature reapplied a repealed and replaced law, but that's how the idiots worded the current law. Its confusing as frack to anyone who hasn't spent a lot of time actually reading the current law. And it could very easily ensnare someone into breaking the law if they are not careful and read both the new and the old law.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:01:30 AM by sbhaven »
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Offline triton186

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2017, 02:22:30 AM »

Its fracking stupid that the legislature reapplied a repealed and replaced law, but that's how the idiots worded the current law. Its confusing as frack to anyone who hasn't spent a lot of time actually reading the current law. And it could very easily ensnare someone into breaking the law if they are not careful and read both the new and the old law.

new law, old law, repealed law, replaced law...

after applying all applicable laws, is a preban (manufactured prior to sept 1994) and not on the BBN list (lets use eagle arms since its been mentioned in this thread a couple times already)  legal for sale/transfer in this state and does it have any restrictions in terms of the number  evil features that it can have?  I thought I knew the answer before I started reading this thread

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2017, 01:02:47 PM »
after applying all applicable laws, is a preban (manufactured prior to sept 1994) and not on the BBN list (lets use eagle arms since its been mentioned in this thread a couple times already)  legal for sale/transfer in this state and does it have any restrictions in terms of the number  evil features that it can have?  I thought I knew the answer before I started reading this thread
There are no restrictions on the number of evil features nor no limit on the ability to sell/buy/transfer a semiautomatic firearm that was manufactured prior to 9/13/94 and is not specifically listed in the old law (pre 4/4/13) banned by name list. Said firearm also does not have to be registered.

You only quoted a PORTION of my post above which was NOT about prebans rather about post bans (post 9/13/94 firearms) having to get past the new AWB feature ban and at the same time the old AWB feature ban. Stupid but thats the way the idiotic law is worded.
- Ayn Rand

Online CT.Jer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2017, 01:09:22 PM »
There are no restrictions on the number of evil features nor no limit on the ability to sell/buy/transfer a semiautomatic firearm that was manufactured prior to 9/13/94 and is not specifically listed in the old law (pre 4/4/13) banned by name list. Said firearm also does not have to be registered.

You only quoted a PORTION of my post above which was NOT about prebans rather about post bans (post 9/13/94 firearms) having to get past the new AWB feature ban and at the same time the old AWB feature ban. Stupid but thats the way the idiotic law is worded.

That's what I thought.   I was getting a little uneasy with some of this because I may or may not have a preban with no paperwork attached to my ownership.

Online BerettaBoy213

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • revolverholic
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2017, 03:19:23 PM »
CT.Jer (and everyone who may be reading this in future):

Old hotness: if it has a birthdate before 9/13/94 ("pre-ban"), its GTG!

New hotness (which they may or may not be cooking up, stayed tuned): if it has a birthdate before 9/13/94, and its NOT on the OLD banned-by-name list, its GTG!

Old BBN list can be found here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Wha to do if you have or wish to buy/sell a BBN pre-ban? Who knows! But stay tuned to CTGT!

:eng101:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:21:36 PM by BerettaBoy213 »

Online Supes3

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2017, 02:58:23 PM »
Heard that many places are halting sales and transfers of prebans while they wait to hear an official word from the state.  Heard this from one gun shop personally and others mentioned it about a few others. 

Anyone else hear any updates from local store reactions to anything from the state?