Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: anyone know any colt historians?  (Read 2006 times)

Online Silverbear

• Forum Contributor
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: anyone know any colt historians?
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 01:16:31 PM »
Doug Turnbull is pretty much the gold standard for restorations, but if there's a guy out there that specializes in SAAs, then he might be the way to go.
"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."

Claire Wolfe

Offline Steevo

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 06:47:06 PM »
Went to the state museum today and so the super cool COLT exhibit, tons of guns etc.... took a bunch of pics. They had a colt saa buntline special serial number 28809.....

Then went into the library and they were nice enough to get their leather bound book of colt firearms by Sutherland and let me look in it. I took a pic of the page that lists the serial number of the museums buntline right next to the serial number of my buntline.

;D

Offline Steevo

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 10:21:07 AM »
So I talked with a guy who is known to be the best colt saa restorer in the country, with the ammount of work that is needed to restore the gun perfectly, I am just not sure if it worth doing so value wise.  I guess I will need to try and find some base for a restored version of the buntline, as most that have sold are or were somewhat most original.

Online THE MADNESS

• Forum Contributor
  • Trade Count: (39)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 11:16:57 AM »
Why not colaberate with a restoration guy, and then donate, or just donate it and let them do the restoration.

Online Silverbear

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 02:12:54 PM »
Yeah, your gun is pretty much a complete restore, with a lot of parts needed, re-color case hardening of the frame, new grips, etc.  You need to figure out what you are going for before committing that kind of cash.

Still a fascinating gun.
"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."

Claire Wolfe

Offline Steevo

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 02:26:09 PM »
yeah it needs a lot of stuff:

--frame needs to get restored and case colored
--repair and weld the original trigger guard and stamp it correctly
-- new internals, hammer, loading gate ( a lot of newer style parts that need replacing and fitting correctly)
-- new barrel with correct length ( still needs to be determined) and have correct stampings on barrel
-- blue all the parts needed it.
-- refinish/repair cylinder and mark correctly
-- refinsh/repair the only other original part ( back strap)
-- new walnut grips ( he has 130 year old walnut to make correclty )
-- rear ladder sight ( he needs to fabricate 1, luckily he has correct dimensions off another 1 he restored)

I am  looking at around $6500 and 2 years to have it completely restored to original as leaving colt. Its a lot of money, but ive wasted more on lesser guns  ;D

In the colt books, there are serials listed for 18 original buntlines that shipped from colt.  through research I have found and verified serial numbers 28802, 28807, 28808,28809, 28810, 28813, 28818, 28823, 28826.

Still trying to find info on the rest of the original serial numbers which fall between 28800 and 28830. some of these originals have sold at auction in the last 10 years from anywhere bewteen $44,000 and $585,250 ( with mostly original parts, some original finish, ect... )

I have not been able to find any that have sold after being restored to original condition.  I am wanting to do the restore, just not sure if it is worth while as an investment dollar wise....  oh well back to researching it.

;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:31:40 PM by Steevo »

Online Silverbear

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 03:41:30 PM »
Just a wild-assed guess, but I would say that given the prices that these Buntlines have gone for at auction, you can't get hurt if you drop $6500 on the restoration.  Some collector would undoubtedly drop 10k on even a heavily restored one with the magic serial number.  The key is having the restoration done RIGHT.

If you do go for the restoration, I hope you will take plenty of photos for a before-and-after comparison.

Claire Wolfe

Offline Steevo

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 03:47:30 PM »
true,  really want to find the length of the original barrel. was told that when colt sold the building in hartford to U.S. firearms, it included everything left in the building which included the machinery for the SAA as well as the old archive records.... And colt needs to go through them of to get records or use what colt has on hand which seems lately the letters have a lot of mis-information......

im waiting to hear back from 1 older colt historian who will maybe shed some more info on it  ;D 

and definately will keep it updated with pics along the way.....

Online Zindo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Highly Active Member
  • De Opresso Libre-- "From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 04:14:54 PM »
When Donnely bought the left overs from the company the hundred plus years of records that were left were strewn all over the floors of the building. Some in boxes soaking wet and half eaten by rats!
 He and friends did their best to save what they could and Colt ,at the time, didn't want anything to do with it! That's the story I got from the horses mouth! They did do something with those records but I don't know who ended up with them

Zindo
Molon Labe--NOBIS NON EXIERIS ARMA!
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits.\"
Plutarch

Offline Steevo

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 04:17:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When Donnely bought the left overs from the company the hundred plus years of records that were left were strewn all over the floors of the building. Some in boxes soaking wet and half eaten by rats!
 He and friends did their best to save what they could and Colt ,at the time, didn't want anything to do with it! That's the story I got from the horses mouth! They did do something with those records but I don't know who ended up with them

Zindo

wow.... sad for a company with such history

Offline Steevo

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2017, 04:06:14 PM »
here is a pic of the letter  ;D ;D ;D