Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Shipping handgun to self  (Read 398 times)

Steve74, anaxagoras, KJT, firepolock, davebug and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online AC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • This statement is false.
  • Referrals: 0
Shipping handgun to self
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:17:44 PM »

I will be out of state with my handgun, and cannot fly back with it (flying into NYC).  I can't seem to get a straight answer regarding how to ship to myself in CT.  Do I send directly to an FFL in CT, or does an FFL in the other state have to ship to the FFL in CT?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Online krisp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Highly Active Member
Re: Shipping handgun to self
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:48:42 PM »
fedex or ups to yourself, usually overnight only. check the fedex/ups policies because federal law also says you are obligated to tell them you are shipping a firearm. you also can't use the post office.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 05:11:52 AM »
... and cannot fly back with it (flying into NYC). 
Actually you CAN fly back with it unless they've changed things recently (after the recent airport shooting in checked baggage return area).

TSA/Airlines, unless they've change things only check for firearms when you arrive at the airport to depart, NOT when you arrive at your destination via plane. Many have flown through NYC airports without issue following airline and TSA guidelines for transporting firearms. Where people have gotten screwed in NYC airports was picking up the handgun from checked baggage return, staying in NY (or NJ), then departing a NY airport with that handgun. That is a no, no and violates FOPA anyway since NY doesn't honor any other state's pistol permits.
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Online M1A_All_Day

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 08:27:29 AM »
"We are not the same. I'm an American, you're a sick ahole."

Online joelcramer

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 09:55:39 AM »
Actually you CAN fly back with it unless they've changed things recently (after the recent airport shooting in checked baggage return area).

TSA/Airlines, unless they've change things only check for firearms when you arrive at the airport to depart, NOT when you arrive at your destination via plane. Many have flown through NYC airports without issue following airline and TSA guidelines for transporting firearms. Where people have gotten screwed in NYC airports was picking up the handgun from checked baggage return, staying in NY (or NJ), then departing a NY airport with that handgun. That is a no, no and violates FOPA anyway since NY doesn't honor any other state's pistol permits.
The airlines know what luggage has the guns in them. Many times I have been the last to get my bags because they send a baggage handler out to deliver my suitcase and check my ID. If I were starting or ending my flight in NY, NJ or Boston I would also ship the gun to myself. If it is just a stop over and I will not be picking up my luggage then I would not care. If I got diverted and had to land in hostile territory I would not claim my luggage. I would make them deliver it to my home or destination. Use any carrier you want except USPS. You can ship it directly to yourself. No dealer is needed.

FPOI should protect you from any problem but in some places they arrest you and make you fight for your rights. You will win but at what cost to the attorney?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:01:02 AM by joelcramer »

Online Skinnedknuckles

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 04:18:06 PM »
fedex or ups to yourself, usually overnight only. check the fedex/ups policies because federal law also says you are obligated to tell them you are shipping a firearm. you also can't use the post office.

This does work - I've done it.  Note, you have to ship it to yourself in care of someone else, since if you are shipping, you aren't where it will be delivered and a signature will be required for delivery.  Also, check with the UPS or FedEx office you plan to use to make sure they accept handguns at that location - not all do.  And since they require you to use their overnight service, it ain't cheap.  I printed out the ATF information and took a copy with me when I went to ship the handgun, just in case.  Actually, they appreciated having the copy.

Online AC

• This statement is false.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 05:29:02 PM »
I called a Fedex and UPS in the area that I will be in, and they both said that you cannot ship person to person.  UPS said it has to go from an FFL to another FFL, and she offered to give me a guy's info that could help.

I explained that I am shipping to myself, they did not seem to see the difference.

Online davebug

• Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:14:54 AM »
FYI Delta just changed their policy that you have to go to the baggage claim office to retrieve a checked firearm.

Online joelcramer

• Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #8 on: Today at 09:01:58 AM »
I called a Fedex and UPS in the area that I will be in, and they both said that you cannot ship person to person.  UPS said it has to go from an FFL to another FFL, and she offered to give me a guy's info that could help.

I explained that I am shipping to myself, they did not seem to see the difference.
they are wrong. No other way to say it they don't know what they are talking about. You can go to ATFs website and look at their frequently asked questions and see it there. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Print this out and bring it with you to ship the package.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:08:28 AM by joelcramer »

Online Skinnedknuckles

« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:19:45 PM »
they are wrong. No other way to say it they don't know what they are talking about. You can go to ATFs website and look at their frequently asked questions and see it there. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Print this out and bring it with you to ship the package.

I know you are trying to ship it home, so it is the office at that end making the call, but I would try visiting a UPS or FedEx facility here and try to talk with someone beyond the person at the service desk, taking the ATF document with you.  Maybe they can help you with the corporate language you need to break through at the other end.  It just boils down to the fact that just because it is legal does not mean they have to do it, and if you get a stubborn "service" desk person who just doesn't like guns, they can screw you unless you have something from "upstairs" to fight them with. When I did it, starting from CT, I went to an independent company who ships for both and they did it with no problem, but I had stopped by and talked with them in advance and gave them a copy of the ATF instructions (to cover their butts, but they were already familiar with shipping guns, fortunately).  Good luck.