Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Side charge Bolt action rifle.  (Read 570 times)

Online 2BearArms

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 0
Side charge Bolt action rifle.
« on: April 18, 2017, 12:56:54 AM »

Side charge Bolt action rifle.

They seem to be making side charge handle uppers more regularly now and as I understand it if you block the gas tube or put a barrel on that doesn’t even have a gas port you have a bolt action rifle. So in CT how do you get a lower to complete this bolt action rifle?

And if you were to do this would the recoil be the same as a semiautomatic AR15 or would it increase?

Online MadSmith

• Supporting Vendor
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammunition!
  • Referrals: 3
    • The Freedom Shoppe (FB)
Re: Side charge Bolt action rifle.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 06:10:21 AM »
The DESPP considers a bare naked AR lower as an 'assault weapon'.  There is a specific carveout in the amendment to the CT AWB (intended primarily for Colt) that allows 'licensed manufacturers of assault weapons' to build them. 

The recoil would be more, but it works fantastic with suppressors. 

The Freedom Shoppe
07 FFL, Firearms & NFA Sales, Mfg, Xfers, Layaways, Exchanges, Consignments, Gunsmithing, Customization, Prototyping
25 Old State Road, New Milford, CT (860)350-3502

Online BerettaBoy213

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Highly Active Member
  • revolverholic
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 08:23:07 PM »
How much just for an upper?

Online MadSmith

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:33:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How much just for an upper?

Side charging upper with bolt carrier group $250.  Complete bolt action upper with sleeved barrel and handguard, $450.
The Freedom Shoppe
07 FFL, Firearms & NFA Sales, Mfg, Xfers, Layaways, Exchanges, Consignments, Gunsmithing, Customization, Prototyping

Online BerettaBoy213

• Highly Active Member
  • revolverholic
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 08:43:17 PM »
Is there a lefty version?

Online MadSmith

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 10:26:17 PM »
Is there a lefty version?

Yup!  Costs $100 more though.
The Freedom Shoppe

Online 2BearArms

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 12:18:42 AM »
And since it is a bolt action rifle I assume it can have any feature you want. Including telescoping stock, pistol grip, detachable mag, flash hider or muzzle brake, threaded barrel, bayonet lug although I don’t know why anyone would want one of them. Is there anything else I am missing?

I will admit that I am a recoil wimp. It doesn’t help that I have an injury to my shoulder that makes heavy recoil unbearable. Any hand gun I have ever shot is no problem for me but I have never shot anything more powerful than a 357 magnum. The ar15 in 5.56 or 300blk doesn’t bother me at all. A 12 gauge shot gun (shouldered) is a no go for me. I recently got a 38/357 lever action rifle with a metal butt plate. The 38 feels like a 22 to me, the 357 hurts. I picked up a butt pad for that rifle but haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. All of that to ask would I not like the recoil of a bolt action AR15. Does the buffer in anyway absorb any of the recoil? Or could a weighted buffer insert help absorb the recoil? I have seen some sort of hydraulic buffer insert.  I just watched some videos of people shooting bolt action AR15 and it doesn’t look like it kicks any worse than a semi. But I do believe you that it would have more recoil.

Online BerettaBoy213

• Highly Active Member
  • revolverholic
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 12:56:45 AM »
The DESPP considers a bare naked AR lower as an 'assault weapon'.

Does this mean that a BA AR is not an "escape hatch" from the AWB? If I buy a virgin lower out of state, attach one of your BA uppers and it would still be an (postban) AW?

Online MadSmith

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 02:03:17 AM »
And since it is a bolt action rifle I assume it can have any feature you want. Including telescoping stock, pistol grip, detachable mag, flash hider or muzzle brake, threaded barrel, bayonet lug although I don’t know why anyone would want one of them. Is there anything else I am missing?

I will admit that I am a recoil wimp. It doesn’t help that I have an injury to my shoulder that makes heavy recoil unbearable. Any hand gun I have ever shot is no problem for me but I have never shot anything more powerful than a 357 magnum. The ar15 in 5.56 or 300blk doesn’t bother me at all. A 12 gauge shot gun (shouldered) is a no go for me. I recently got a 38/357 lever action rifle with a metal butt plate. The 38 feels like a 22 to me, the 357 hurts. I picked up a butt pad for that rifle but haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. All of that to ask would I not like the recoil of a bolt action AR15. Does the buffer in anyway absorb any of the recoil? Or could a weighted buffer insert help absorb the recoil? I have seen some sort of hydraulic buffer insert.  I just watched some videos of people shooting bolt action AR15 and it doesn’t look like it kicks any worse than a semi. But I do believe you that it would have more recoil.

Yup, can have all the evil features.

Recoil of a 5.56 is pretty mild.  300aac is just a bit more.

There are plenty of recoil mitigation strategies.  A limbsaver buttpad, mercury recoil dampers, a heavier gun on a bipod, etc.

One of my customers had me build his with a heavy .936 bull barrel, full length railed free float handguard, bipod, and a rear monopod.  Negligible recoil, and he's getting sub-moa as a bench rest and prairie dog gun.   
The Freedom Shoppe

Online MadSmith

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 02:06:08 AM »
Does this mean that a BA AR is not an "escape hatch" from the AWB? If I buy a virgin lower out of state, attach one of your BA uppers and it would still be an (postban) AW?

It is arguably a potential violation. 
The Freedom Shoppe

Online Sixshot6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 02:33:22 PM »

Buy this lower, then send a side charging upper to comgraf to turn into a pump/straight pull hybrid, get both attached in that way that isn't considered readily convertible to semi auto and have the best of both worlds?