Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: What is wrong with Hartford Gun Club?  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Skinnedknuckles

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Referrals: 0
What is wrong with Hartford Gun Club?
« on: February 15, 2017, 04:30:22 PM »

I watched in horror as Greg Maglieri, President (not owner, WFSB) of Hartford Gun Club was interviewed by Susan Raff of WFSB.  Admittedly, the whole WFSB segment on the proposed hike in pistol permit fees was extremely unprofessional, factually incorrect, and highly slanted.

However, unless they did some underhanded editing (not out of the realm of possibility), Greg basically parroted the worst of the Anti-Gun talking points, saying we needed pistol permits and training otherwise "you're going to have illegal guns on the street which isn't good for society".  If this was an accurate interview, it would appear that HGC has been taken over by Connecticut Against Gun Violence and is run by Fudd's.  Why would any Connecticut gun owner want to be affiliated with the ideas espoused in the interview?

Online Flatulence

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Highly Active Member
  • FCFAA
    • FCFAA
Re: What is wrong with Hartford Gun Club?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 04:34:58 PM »
If true and not a massively creative editing job, I think the membership os going to be quite upset.
Fairfield County Firearms & Archery LLC 01, 07, 08 FFL
4 New Canaan Ave Norwalk CT 06851
203 354 0616

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 05:12:02 PM »
Video at link. Article appears, unsurprising, to have some wrong information or conclusions as well.

Pistol permits fee increasing in governor's proposed budget
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -

A plan to increase pistol permits may be backfiring.

In his budget, the governor is proposing to raise the cost of pistol permits by hundreds of dollars. This proposed increase is not going over well with gun owners and gun groups who told lawmakers to oppose it.

"We looked at surrounding states and municipalities that separately license and we moved the fee to be in keeping with other jurisdictions,” Gov. Dannel Malloy said. 

A week after delivering his new two-year budget, Malloy defended his proposal to increase pistol permits.

The increase is significant. State permit fees would go from $70 to $300 and an initial five-year permit from $140 to $370. A separate background check fee would also rise from $50 to $75.

Based on research Eyewitness News did, these numbers show the difference in costs with getting a pistol permit today and with the proposed fee changes.

The total for all of it would be almost $900 dollars and this doesn't include classes or local police fees. The cost will be at least $900, but doesn't include some of the other fees such as fingerprinting, eligibility certificates and a National Rifle Association of America online pistol permit. 

Gun owners and gun groups told lawmakers it's unfair.

"The fees for a pistol permit in Connecticut are some of the highest in the country as a state issue permit,” Scott Wilson with Connecticut Citizens Defense League said. “We know for fact that individuals simply will not be able to afford to renew their permits and the state will lose revenue."

The changes are expected to generate more than 11 million, which the governor said will cover costs for the increased demand in gun permits, which has created an increased workload for the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Safety.

In 2013, Malloy signed sweeping gun control reform, which led to a surge in people applying for permits.

Greg Magliari is president of the Hartford Gun Club in Granby, and said "You want them to be licensed. You want them to have permits. Otherwise, you are going to have illegal guns on the streets which is not good for society or Connecticut."

The concern is this could discourage people from getting permits. But, if a person was caught firing a gun without a permit, they could face hundreds in fines and even prison time.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:13:32 PM by sbhaven »
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Offline Skinnedknuckles

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 05:55:56 PM »
"The concern is this could discourage people from getting permits. But, if a person was caught firing a gun without a permit, they could face hundreds in fines and even prison time."

This is also NOT what Susan Raff said in the newscast.  What she said was so stupid, I'm not surprised they changed it in the written version.

Further, in the newscast, they proved once again they are math challenged.  Look at the calculation of the cost of a permit.  I can't for the life of me figure out how they came up with the current first time cost of a permit as $367, NOT including the cost of permit class training or local police department permit fees, let alone the proposed cost of $852.

Offline Skinnedknuckles

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 06:21:03 PM »
Just clicked on the link, and it was edited from what was on the 5pm newscast yesterday (I recorded it, and Greg was introduced as the OWNER of HGC). When do we get to call it "Fake News" ;D?

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 07:30:19 PM »
Further, in the newscast, they proved once again they are math challenged.  Look at the calculation of the cost of a permit.  I can't for the life of me figure out how they came up with the current first time cost of a permit as $367, NOT including the cost of permit class training or local police department permit fees, let alone the proposed cost of $852.
This is one time where you want them to frack up the math and make it much worse than what Malloy proposed. And they did. We shouldn't point out their error in this case because such a high number is bound to scare people more than Malloy's proposed figure.
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Online PROBIKE101

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 09:03:07 PM »
where is that russian cruiser when you need one?

Offline Jake

• Forum Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 11:31:20 PM »
The guy is a wanker.  If I was a member of that club, I'd quit.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… "  Cesare Beccaria 1764

Online PROBIKE101

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 07:55:22 AM »
sounds like he was taken out of context.

Offline Skinnedknuckles

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 09:24:16 AM »
sounds like he was taken out of context.

May be, but I can't imagine a context where what he said would be appropriate for the president of a gun club to say.

Online PROBIKE101

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 10:13:35 PM »
it sounded as if the point he was making to the powers to be is ,wood they have us carry with the permit,or make them un affordable and not get one, and still do the latter. but maybe i mis under stood his remarks....woood not be surprised if murphy did not edit the the segment himself, damn did i say that out loud :wink: