Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Semi-Auto Centerfire Ban for Under 21 Year Olds  (Read 1267 times)

Online Will1776

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Patriot behind enemy lines
  • Referrals: 0
Semi-Auto Centerfire Ban for Under 21 Year Olds
« on: February 14, 2017, 05:50:48 PM »

Hello, I know CT bans people or corporations from selling any semi-auto centerfires to those under the age of 21. I'm expecting to get my long gun certificate in the spring and was wondering if I could just buy one like the mini 14 in NY and bring it back since they don't have that law? I'm moving to CO this summer (where they don't have all the dumb rules we have once I get CO ID to have while I'm out there) anyway to work before college out there starts, but would like to know if this is possible for the few times I'm home. I'm new to the forum so I apologize if this isn't posted in the correct thread.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 05:51:47 PM by Will1776 »

Online firepolock

• MADNESS'S CO-DRIVER
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (48)
  • Highly Active Member
  • MGs, better than sex with a fat girl on a moped
Re: Semi-Auto Centerfire Ban for Under 21 Year Olds
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 06:00:26 PM »
No, because it's not legal in your home state.

Unless,  you keep it out of state after purchase

Could be wrong though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

stupid people=job security: the opinions i state are mine, and mine only: ctguntalk.com is not liable for anything i might say or put on this forum:nor am i giving legal advice with my opinions:-)

Online Will1776

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 06:06:32 PM »
"No person, firm or corporation may sell, deliver or otherwise transfer, at retail, any semi-automatic centerfire rifle that has or accepts a magazine with a capacity exceeding five rounds to any person under twenty-one years of age."

This is from the law. Seems like it doesn't say anything about possession. But even if that's true the original question remains  :huh:

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 07:02:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hello, I know CT bans people or corporations from selling any semi-auto centerfires to those under the age of 21. I'm expecting to get my long gun certificate in the spring and was wondering if I could just buy one like the mini 14 in NY and bring it back since they don't have that law? I'm moving to CO this summer (where they don't have all the dumb rules we have once I get CO ID to have while I'm out there) anyway to work before college out there starts, but would like to know if this is possible for the few times I'm home. I'm new to the forum so I apologize if this isn't posted in the correct thread.
Why not just buy the firearm in a face to face private sale from someone in CT once you have the CT long gun certificate? The ban on selling semiautomatic detachable magazine long guns with magazines over 5 rounds to those under 21 applies to retail sales not private face to face sales/transfers.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 07:03:35 PM by sbhaven »
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Online Will1776

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 07:07:15 PM »
Why not just buy the firearm in a face to face private sale from someone in CT once you have the CT long gun certificate? The ban on selling semiautomatic detachable magazine long guns with magazines over 5 rounds to those under 21 applies to retail sales not private face to face sales/transfers.

I believe the law prohibits people, firms, and corporations from selling them to those under 21. Maybe the quote I pulled is outdated, but it seems right
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 07:07:46 PM by Will1776 »

Online Will1776

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 09:37:45 PM »
I believe the law prohibits people, firms, and corporations from selling them to those under 21. Maybe the quote I pulled is outdated, but it seems right

Edit: I stand corrected. The law says at retail. I was confused with the beginning where it says
"person".

Online firepolock

• MADNESS'S CO-DRIVER
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (48)
  • Highly Active Member
  • MGs, better than sex with a fat girl on a moped
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 09:38:51 PM »
So we can sell semi centerfire rifles to persons under 21 via private party sales? 

stupid people=job security: the opinions i state are mine, and mine only: ctguntalk.com is not liable for anything i might say or put on this forum:nor am i giving legal advice with my opinions:-)

Online Will1776

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:39:45 PM »
deleted.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:40:20 PM by Will1776 »

Online Will1776

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 09:41:17 PM »
So we can sell semi centerfire rifles to persons under 21 via private party sales? 

Looks that way to me due to the "at retail" part. 

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 06:51:34 AM »
Apparently yes, the law states "at retail" when banning certain sales to persons under age 21. The full statute:

Sec. 29-37a. Sale, delivery or transfer of long guns. Procedure. Penalty.
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 06:55:38 AM »
Edit: I stand corrected. The law says at retail. I was confused with the beginning where it says
"person".
The statute is somewhat confusing the way its written and its easy to misinterpret it.

Sec. 29-37a. Sale, delivery or transfer of long guns. Procedure. Penalty. (a) For the purposes of this section, “long gun” means a firearm, as defined in section 53a-3, other than a pistol or revolver.

(b) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (2) of this subsection, no person, firm or corporation may sell, deliver or otherwise transfer, at retail, any long gun to any person under eighteen years of age.

(2) No person, firm or corporation may sell, deliver or otherwise transfer, at retail, any semi-automatic centerfire rifle that has or accepts a magazine with a capacity exceeding five rounds to any person under twenty-one years of age. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to the sale, delivery or transfer of such a rifle to any person who is a member or employee of an organized local police department, the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection or the Department of Correction or a member of the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the discharge of their duties.
- Ayn Rand