Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Ok Jeep guys need a little help  (Read 370 times)

Online Mustang

• Forum Contributor
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 0
Ok Jeep guys need a little help
« on: February 23, 2017, 07:07:04 AM »

Have a 1999 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Laredo 4.0-6cyl four wheel automatic I picked up in January. Been slowly, when money is found, replacing broken parts on it. Just finished with the clock spring, took four weeks to remove and replace - long story. My vehicle knowledge is Fords and Chevys mostly. Jeeps, I'm in the dark.

Funds are running low and don't want to play "spend the money on a part it might be, to find out its not". You know lets fix this to see if its the issue. Then find out after replacing it, it wasn't - then spend more money on the next might be issue then find out it wasn't. etc etc etc until the broken part is found.

Now, when I picked it up for my daughter I heard a ticking sound and thought lifters. The seller n friend who just picked it up from an auction said most likely injectors. Found out yesterday its the EVAP purge canister making this loud ticking. Now I know this would not of sold back in 1999 off the dealership lot, if there was a ticking noise under the hood. I've been reading that this is normal, I don't buy this. My question is do these need to be changed regularly? What would be making this to tick, some other issue? This needs to go through emissions still to be registered. No lights on the dash though its roof read out (where the N/S/E/W and temp read out is) is saying service engine soon.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:47:04 AM by Mustang »

"Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power, have in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny..." - T.Jefferson

Online edgephoto

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Guns don't kill people. People kill people...
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Ok Jeep guys need a little help
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:02:24 AM »
That ticking sound is the canister purge valve working. That is why you do not have a light on.

You could try changing it to see if the new one is quieter. Otherwise turn up the radio.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online JP90Talon

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:14:17 AM »
Not so familiar with Cherokees but my guess is the service engine soon is some idiot light like oil change that needs to be reset. As for the noises.....every jeep I have ever owned has made a ton of noises. Id worry if I didnt hear something!
Dalai Lama: "But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Online M1A_All_Day

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 06:30:30 PM »
I've owned 5 different 4.0L engines (XJs and TJs). Ticks are usually from the exhaust manifold (which can come/go with expansion and torque on the motor mounts). Also had problems with oil filters that have no anti-drainback valve. On cold starts, oil pressure wouldn't build enough to get the top-end oiled, ticking until warmed-up. I have heard evap canisters ticks, but most of the time its the exhaust manifold cracked and the crack is really tough to spot. If by chance you end up replacing the manifold, use the accordion-style type.

How to:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"We are not the same. I'm an American, you're a sick ahole."

Online Mustang

• Forum Contributor
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:48:59 PM »
Thanks for every bit of help! See, I don't believe Jeep sold these making noise so the noise should not be there, Yes the evap purge is ticking I feel the strong tick putting my hand to it. I want to change it, just if it still ticks then money wasted.

There is sn exhaust leak (hole) on the mid pipe which I need to change. I've read the OEM exhaust headers suck sn will change to aftermarket header.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:51:28 PM by Mustang »
"Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power, have in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny..." - T.Jefferson

Online Flatulence

• Supporting Vendor
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Highly Active Member
  • FCFAA
    • FCFAA
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 09:17:24 AM »
PM Gator, he is a jeep expert.
Where is my dinner?

Online Gator

• No rugers
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Quit your bitchassness
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »
Plug the exhaust with a bunch of rags and see if the ticking gets louder. The 4.0 engine is notorious for having the collector on the exhaust manifold crack where it goes from 3 and 3 to 1. Won't set of a cel but it's annoying
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery