Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Who's shooting today?  (Read 21560 times)

Offline RevlimiterRuss

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Who's shooting today?
« Reply #253 on: September 10, 2018, 09:24:00 PM »
How many rounds a month is everyone shooting?  Between my wife and I we are about 800 rounds a month.
If I’m paying 17C a round now for 9mm. How much would I save reloading?
“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.”
~George Washington

Offline CTSixshot

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Highly Active Member
  • ...and the truth shall make you free.
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #254 on: September 10, 2018, 09:53:56 PM »
Simply crunch the numbers. If you've already amortized the cost of the press, dies and other gear, just add up your cost of components... roughly 10¢ for a 115g FMJ bullet, 3.5¢ for the primer, 2¢ for powder = 15.5¢, assuming your brass and labour are free. You might cut a few cents with coated bullets and bulk purchases, but it's a marginal savings at best.
Most reload for the joy of it. It's hard to rationalize it for economy purposes with 9x19mm 115g ball ammo. Wal-Mart steel-cased Tula is ~ $8 with tax.

As for round count.. how about 11 pounds of lead or roughly 590 rounds (.22, .38, .45 ACP, 9x19mm, 7.62x51 and 6.5x55mm). Today, I only spectated with two rounds (one with sand, the other just a primer) of 12g in a starter's cannon.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:10:10 PM by CTSixshot »

Offline ridenclimb

• PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #255 on: September 11, 2018, 12:49:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How many rounds a month is everyone shooting?  Between my wife and I we are about 800 rounds a month.
If I’m paying 17C a round now for 9mm. How much would I save reloading?

CTSixshot numbers are pretty good.  I save a bit more ordering in bulk so my cost per round for 9mm reloads is about 12cents/round $6/box 50.  That is using coated bullets and buying in bulk.  If you really wanted to drop your cost you could also cast your own bullets and powder coat but that is more time consuming than just reloading purchased bullets.  If you get lead for free and cast your own bullets cost goes down to $2.25/box 50 but you have other costs for furnace, molds, etc.

Reloading for calibers other than 9mm has a much bigger cost savings.  Calibers like 45 long colt can easily be 75cents per round.  Reloading saves a lot there given the purchase price.    Even 45acp which is around $15/box has a much bigger costs savings than reloading 9mm.

That said I do reload 9mm but have a dillon 650 with bullet feeder.  Easy to crank out 100 rounds in 7 minutes.  Lots of people shoot 9mm and don't bother to reload so brass is free and plentiful if you are willing to pick it up.  You can also tailor the round to your gun/shooting style from powder puff loads for newbie shooters to full house loads.

I reload 9mm and 45 acp for two reasons.  Yes it does save money but more importantly when shelf stores go bare I am able to keep shooting.  If you enjoy reloading and view it as a fun recreational activity have at it.  If it is a bother/chore/source of frustration you are better off just buying 9mm in bulk for as cheap as you can find.       
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:53:21 PM by ridenclimb »

Online imahangtia

• Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
« Reply #256 on: September 11, 2018, 02:38:31 PM »
If ya have the components reloading comes in handy during ammo shortages like in 2013-2015.

An inexpensive single stage press that sees daylight once every 20 years is better than no personal stockpile of ammo and empty store shelves.

Offline RevlimiterRuss

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #257 on: September 11, 2018, 10:02:01 PM »
How bad was the shortage? Nothing was available aside from reloading components?
“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.”
~George Washington

Online SafeActionJackson

• Mover of threads!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #258 on: September 11, 2018, 10:05:31 PM »
How bad was the shortage? Nothing was available aside from reloading components?

It was bad, and reloading components were also scares and also expensive (unless bought in bulk, like max hazmat shipment weight of 48lbs).

Let's keep the thread on topic, start a new thread in the reloading section if you'd like to discuss the topic more.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:06:59 PM by SafeActionJackson »
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting ~Sun Tzu

Offline CTSixshot

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #259 on: September 12, 2018, 05:37:19 PM »
Thanks T; what a thrill to pop a few rounds in a post-war (1964) Walther P1.
Who cares about a little drizzle?

Online JBear

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #260 on: September 15, 2018, 06:11:35 PM »
Hey, I was shooting today!

Huge thank you to CTSixshot who is an uncommonly gracious host. It was a pleasure to finally meet you!
A perfect venue for small explosion therapy. Pop-in-law and I had a fantastic time. It meant a lot to me, and more to him. Thanks again
But it will be like teaching a pig to sing, a waste of your time, and you'll only succeed in anoying the pig.

Offline CTSixshot

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2018, 09:08:25 PM »
Even though I didn't do any shooting today, I watched plenty. Ashaway was banging away most of the day, too.
I did, however, just come up from the reloading bench where I loaded the remaining primed .40 S&W with some SF40-135 RHFPs. Another caliber that I don't shoot (but they'll find a home tomorrow)!
I'm glad you guys could make it over. Sadly, the range will be history shortly.

Online JBear

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2018, 09:32:14 PM »
Sadder now that I know what will be lost. Your regular offers for people to come and shoot is a resource that will be missed.
But it will be like teaching a pig to sing, a waste of your time, and you'll only succeed in anoying the pig.

Online 32bttln

• Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
« Reply #263 on: September 15, 2018, 10:56:01 PM »
Sadder now that I know what will be lost. Your regular offers for people to come and shoot is a resource that will be missed.

Very true...