News: **Please Read**. If you have a new or renewed membership on the site but it has not been added to your account after a day or two, please send the admin (mrnuke) a private message so your account can be corrected manually. There is an ongoing connectivity error with the Paypal subscription system.

Thank you

Subscription Status

Supporting Member : No
Pro Supp. Member : No

Join & Become a Member
Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: New Product Offering -- Convert your AR-15 to a Fixed Magazine Rifle  (Read 11989 times)

Offline ComGraf

• Board Moderator
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
Re: New Product Offering -- Convert your AR-15 to a Fixed Magazine Rifle
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 10:37:49 AM »
sbhaven has cited the key provisions of the CT statutes that were considered in developing this product, but to summarize, once the firearm no longer meets all three requirements – (1) semi-automatic, (2) centerfire, and (3) the ability to accept a detachable magazine – it basically avoids classification as an assault weapon. There are, actually, a couple of other hurdles that must also be passed: the fixed magazine cannot be larger than 10 round capacity (by design or by pinning); the overall length must be 30 inches or more; it cannot be a copy or a duplicate of a named banned weapon; etc. (For the latter provision, the State Police have published three criteria that must be considered. This design passes that test too.)
My original approach to addressing the CT statutes was a special lower receiver designed from the beginning with those statutes in mind. It arguably goes well beyond the minimum requirements to comply. It is still listed on my website as a Model CGAR15FM lower receiver and is available for purchase through an FFL gun dealer. It actually requires removal of the bolt catch and insertion of the magazine from the top of the lower receiver during installation. Both it and the MRK-1 kit require that the magazine is empty when loaded into the magazine well. I have shown that variant to three prominent attorneys in CT, all deeply involved in advising their clients on CT’s gun laws, and have received an endorsement from all three. (You can see their names and contact information on the www.ctlegalars.com website.) I have also demonstrated that design to the CT State Police officers in charge of the Special Licensing and Firearms office in Middletown. IAW policy set by the current administration, the State Police will not issue a formal opinion letter and they are careful not to give even verbal approval, but the officers I spoke to candidly did not identify any technical violations of the law. It’s a very elegant and effective design, but the downsides are that when produced in small lots it is quite expensive and it will not easily revert to a “normal” AR-15 configuration if the law ever changes (or no longer matters).
This MRK-1 product is based on the same method of securing the magazine in the lower receiver and, as such, requires disassembly of the firearm action. It meets the standard of not being “capable of accepting a detachable magazine.” I’ve gone back to one of the three attorneys mentioned above for a re-look and the original opinion stands. I’ve also, again as a courtesy, shared information about the design (and my intent to sell the product) with the State Police. The key differences in this approach, as compared to the CGAR15FM receiver, are that (1) it works with any standard AR-15 lower receiver made from a forging (rather than a billet), (2) the conversion is reversible so you can reacquire full functionality in a matter of minutes if needed, and (3) it costs a small fraction of the CGAR15FM receiver. (The concept could be made to work with a billet receiver, but it might need some minor dimension changes in the retention fitting to deal with different receiver wall thickness measurements in the billet version.) There is no guarantee that the AW status of an AR equipped with this MRK-1 device won’t be challenged by some law enforcement officer, but IMHO this design is less likely to be challenged than a mechanism that only requires you to pull the rear takedown pin to swap full magazines.

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 11:20:04 AM »
Note: Have cross posted the product announcement and some other information to the CT Home Town Forum over at ar15.com as not everyone over there belongs to this site.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_26/578953_Convert_your_AR_15_to_a_Fixed_Magazine_Rifle___New_Product.html
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Offline Mheadroom

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 12:21:01 PM »
This should work in a ar10 lower, correct?

Offline ComGraf

• Board Moderator
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 04:03:00 PM »
I haven't looked at the AR-10 platform yet. The concept is valid, but the specific dimensions needed to make it work properly may be a little different. I would need to see the particular magazine and lower receiver. With that information, I could tell you immediately.

Offline ComGraf

• Board Moderator
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 01:56:59 PM »
This should work in a ar10 lower, correct?

Mheadroom -- since your post I've purchased a .308 magazine suitable for the DPMS LR-308 version of the AR, done a few measurements, and it looks like everything should work okay. If you have an A10 and want to try it out, PM me with your contact informationand let's talk.

Offline Mheadroom

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 03:45:55 PM »
I actually don't have one but was looking at this as an option compare to preban. This might be a good option for those of us wanting a newer 308 setup in CT.

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 06:11:12 PM »
I actually don't have one but was looking at this as an option compare to preban. This might be a good option for those of us wanting a newer 308 setup in CT.
Keep in mind that if your looking to buy an AR-15 or AR-10 style rifle or their copies or duplicates manufactured post 4/4/13 with the intention of using this device, one still has to get passed the AR-15 or AR-10, and specific manufacture/model, "banned by name" language in the law prior to using this device.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:12:07 PM by sbhaven »
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Offline Mheadroom

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 06:42:50 PM »
Of course.

Offline ComGraf

• Board Moderator
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 08:27:39 PM »
I started a new thread describing an updated version of this pump action rifle conversion kit a few days ago. See it here: http://www.ctguntalk.com/smf/index.php/topic,43339.0.html