Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Questions about PA.  (Read 3084 times)

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
  • Referrals: 0
Questions about PA.
« on: August 11, 2014, 12:09:16 PM »

So, I finally talked my mom out of moving to Florida, into a place in PA. - Her being close is a big deal but, it raises a few questions.

Looking for a place in the Honesdale area..Possibly Warren county...(about 45 minutes outside of Scranton) sometime in the upcoming few weeks...

I'm in the process of applying for a Pennsylvania LCTF. Going to make a call earlier this afternoon to see if it's even possible.

My hope was to eventually free up some safe space - Since there are a few NICE ranges within 30 minutes of there but, if I can't get the LCTF it's going to be an interesting situation.

I'm looking for some information in regards to travelling through the horrible state of New York...As well as storing my firearms in a safe, in another state.

I think I've done my homework but, would rather get the info from someone that's done this before...

I do not plan on entering NYC or anywhere remotely close...In fact, 84w to rt6

Any thoughts?

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
Re: Questions about PA.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:16:25 PM »
You may freely travel through the state of NY. Federal law says if you start where your gun is legal and you are going to a place where you are legal you may freely pass through those states where you are not legal. That is provided you have the gun locked away from the driver and passengers and unloaded.

There should be no problem getting a PA pistol permit. As far as storing the guns in another location. Generally it is accepted that this is ok as long as nobody at the storage location has access to your guns. So install a safe or some kind of locked box and you should be good to go!

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You may freely travel through the state of NY. Federal law says if you start where your gun is legal and you are going to a place where you are legal you may freely pass through those states where you are not legal. That is provided you have the gun locked away from the driver and passengers and unloaded.

There should be no problem getting a PA pistol permit. As far as storing the guns in another location. Generally it is accepted that this is ok as long as nobody at the storage location has access to your guns. So install a safe or some kind of locked box and you should be good to go!

Thanks Joel!!!

Yeah, we're getting her set up with a modular home and a finished "basement" so my brother and I have a place to stay when we visit...I'll pick up a new safe for my house and probably take my current one over there.

It will be nice just leaving the Win Mag there because I don't shoot it locally.

Anyone have any advice on the PA permit? Do I have to take another class? -- I can't seem to find any info on that.

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 02:01:17 PM »
I'm looking for some information in regards to travelling through the horrible state of New York...As well as storing my firearms in a safe, in another state.
Its called FOPA. All states generally are supposed to follow it.... in theory. Its supposed to protect you while your transporting your firearm (note it only covers firearms, not magazines or ammo) from one state to another provided your legal at the start of your trip and the destination of your trip. It does not cover you if you stop for things other than gas/food and possibly overnight lodging, in a state that bans/restricts the firearm your transporting. So no stopping to visit family/friends in NY, no stopping (basically) for any reason other than gas/food in NY.

Firearms should be transported unloaded and in the trunk, if no trunk is available then unloaded and in a case that is inaccessible to you in your car. Some go the extra step of using locked cases for the gun and ammunition and unloaded magazines, and then lock the trunk (if possible).

Your other option is to ship any firearms to your self in PA if you don't want to drive them there.

While FOPA should protect you, it doesn't mean that if your stopped by law enforcement in New York (or any other uber liberal gun hating state) that LEO will respect FOPA. Once your stopped they may simply let a couple of lawyers figure it out.

As to storing firearms in another state. As long as your legally allowed to possess them there shouldn't be a problem as long as they are stored in a safe that only you have access too. If your mother or other family members have access to it then that may present legal issues if any of them are prohibited from possessing guns (especially handguns).

The reality is that if you don't do anything stupid, like speeding or aggressive driving, while driving through NY you should be fine so long as you follow FOPA to the letter. It might also be wise if possible to driving a car loaded with gun/NRA bumper stickers, that may give LEO incentive to find a reason to pull you over if your in southern NY. Keep a print out of FOPA with you in case your stopped. Avoid mentioning your firearms if you are stopped unless specifically asked, and you should not agree to let them search your car if they ask to search your car.
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 03:19:57 PM »
Anyone have any advice on the PA permit? Do I have to take another class? -- I can't seem to find any info on that.

You do not need another class.  All you need is to get an application from the county's Sheriff's Office.  Fill out the application, provide a copy of your CT Permit and CT drivers licence.  Fee used to be $26 for five years.  Turn around time was fast.  Note- some counties simply stopped issuing non-resident permits.  I used to use Pike county, because it was the closest to CT.   They stopped because of the increased volume of non-resident apps (20:1) over resident. 

Lackawanna County Courthouse
200 N. Washington Avenue 1st floor
Scranton, PA 18503

For licence to carry inquiries:
Phone: 570-963-6719 Ext: 7100

By the  way - You can pic any county in PA to apply for the non-resident licence to carry
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:20:48 PM by JeepinMaxx »

Online Jags93

• Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 03:21:39 PM »
This is sound advice above. Although it sounds like you are avoiding NJ, don't bring hollow points through there.

Online obewan

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »
I have heard of people going to the Luzerne county sheriff's office ( court house ) and returning with a PA permit.  You might want to call in advance.

Online 2ndamendment45

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »
Correct, fill out an application, pay the fee, wait for 10 minutes, get your picture taken and walk out with a PA LTCF.  My wife and I got ours in Reading, PA last October, now only if our house sells so we can get the F out of this state.....

Offline randomsv650

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Highly Active Member
  • DTOM
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 09:06:14 PM »
I walked into the Bucks Co courthouse one day on Doylestown, filled out a piece of paper, paid $20 and had my permit within 20 minutes. Pretty awesome!
The night is far gone; the day is at hand. So then let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light. - Rom. 13:12, ESV

Offline SixShooterFan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 10:36:29 PM »
I walked into the Bucks Co courthouse one day on Doylestown, filled out a piece of paper, paid $20 and had my permit within 20 minutes. Pretty awesome!

Would you happen to have the address?  When I search on Google it gives me 3 different addresses for the court house.
Member: CCDL, GOA, NRA, SAF

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 09:46:11 AM »
I was told you pretty much can just show up and get one as long as you have your CT permit/license...I'm going to go that route in Harris when we go to look at the property.

The other question I had -- Is that I've read up on the law and the LCM provision.

Magazines per what I've been told aren't constituted as firearms or parts there-of.

So If I wanted something bigger than 10, it's doable as long as I leave it in PA, yes?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:46:23 AM by Masked »