Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: CT Towns' additional pistol permit requirements.  (Read 67236 times)

Offline 174_Grain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: CT Towns' additional pistol permit requirements.
« Reply #319 on: March 11, 2015, 03:41:05 PM »
Never mind my question, I went there today and picked up my pistol permit application from the West Haven Police Department (took the permit course earlier today in Bridgeport).  They still do require the three "letters of character reference" and they further require that they have the name, address and phone number of the author on each one.  Furthermore, they don't accept passports as proof of citizenship as state law requires they do (only birth certificate - not a problem for me, but it wrankles regardles), they illegally require you bring the original certificate of completion of the NRA basic pistol course "for inspection" along with a photocopy which they will keep, they charge an extra $25 fee for fingerprinting (I don't think that's against any law but it does seem excessive), and they require that you bring your own passport-size photo to attach to the application instead of photographing you.

To top it all off, the copy of the DPS-799-C form which they hand out (blue in color, has some artifacts that make it look like it's a photocopy) appears to be adulterated - in the final section which talks about the appeals process, they have deleted some text from the middle.  Specifically, they have removed the bolded sentence:

Quote from: DPS-799-C

NOTICE: Appeal Process for Permits
In the event that your application to carry pistols or revolvers is denied or your permit is revoked, you may notify the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners, in writing, within ninety (90) days, in order to begin your appeal process. At a hearing before the Board, you may request that your application be reconsidered or that your permit be reinstated. Additionally, in the event that your permit application has not been processed by the local issuing authority within eight ( 8 ) weeks, you should notify the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners. Contact Information for the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners: 505 Hudson Street, 5th Floor, Hartford, CT 06106. Telephone (860) 566-7078 or (800) 996-7078.

This last part seems really heinous.  At first I thought that it might be an innocent error where they were using an older version of the form that didn't include that text, but the state's DPS-799-C form (as found on DPS's website) shows that it was last revised in October of 2009, so this looks to me (ignorant as I am of CT firearm laws) that they have intentionally removed text from a state form because they didn't like what it says.  There's no way in hell that's legal.

edit - I looked into this further and I was in error.  They were actually using a newer version of form DPS-799-C than that posted on the state gov't website - apparently the form was amended in May of 2013 to remove that bolded section.  Welp.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:05:23 AM by 174_Grain »

Offline SafeActionJackson

• Mover of threads!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Highly Active Member
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #320 on: March 11, 2015, 03:47:46 PM »
You might want to check out ctcarry.com, maybe shoot Rich_B an email.

~g
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting ~Sun Tzu

Offline 174_Grain

• Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #321 on: March 12, 2015, 10:06:25 AM »
I'm going to contact Rich/CTCarry about some other questions, but I was in error about the modified form bit and I've edited my prior post to reflect this.  Sorry about the false alarm.

Offline Rodomonte

• Standard Member
  • Hello!
« Reply #322 on: March 15, 2015, 12:04:32 PM »
I figure I'd provide some info on Bridgeport since I just submitted my pistol permit.

Including the notarized application you'll need to supply all this:
  • Driver's License with current address
  • Passport or Birth Certificate
  • Naturalization Certificate (if born overseas)
  • NRA Course Certificate
  • 2 Passport size photos
  • Fingerprints from detective bureau
  • 3 money orders or bank checks for $14.75, $50, $70
Apparently the requirements were updated on February 1st of this year. I think the only thing that was changed was the amount required for the $14.75 payment.

The one convenient bit is that the permit department asks to see the originals, so you don't need to supply certified copies. The woman in the permit department was friendly and once she took everything she said I'd hear in 8 weeks. So we'll see how that goes.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:07:55 PM by Rodomonte »