Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

CT Towns' additional pistol permit requirements.

(Read 71587 times)

gewehr44

• Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
Over on arfcom a few months back, there was a thread that listed some of the towns in CT that ask for more than the state required form when applying for a carry permit.
Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:11:30 PM by MrNuke

CTSAS.INFO

• Highly Active Member
East Haven - Chief Gallo will interview neighbors and his officers will reveal to your neighbors that you are applying for a pistol permit. (invasion of privacy and a safety issue itself if the neighbors are criminals) I know this for a fact, because my mother who lives in East Haven called me to tell me a neighbor on her street was applying for a permit and the officers who came to interview my mother about the applicant's character, spilled the beans to her.

The Chief may also call you into his office for a one-on-one to size you up and he has imposed his own "90-day" wait before they send anything to the FBI. (which technically exceeds the 6-8 week rule that has existed since the days of computer reels and mainframes) And they ask for the three letters of reference (that is old, East Haven always had that rule - I remember going through it when I was 18 back in 1984)

Manchester - Chief James Barry is vehemently antigun. He presented at a gun conference in Hartford that I attended a few years ago.
He stated that he tries to dissuade applicants from getting a permit and bragged about using his NRA instructor rating as a way to counsel applicants AGAINST getting a gun. Chief Barry is a former Hartford police officer. He also stated he was in favor of bans or other restrictions on Ammunition. (He was the only uniformed Chief presenting who wore his duty belt, complete with gun, out of his jurisdiction, while he addressed the press from the podium at the Lyceum center in Hartford where they posted "NO GUNS ALLOWED" signs - intended to deter any pro gunners in attendance. Even Hartford's chief at that time, appeared wearing no visible gun or gun belt.

Berlin - I am aware of people in Berlin getting denials or simple failures to process their requests on a few occasions.

Hamden - another tough city, but not as bad as during the 1970s and 1980s when then chief Ambrosio's name was in the papers virtually every week for being dragged into court over failure to process permit applications. (I believe it was because of Hamden and some other towns that sparked the "reform" in the permit system, getting away from the "Town Permits" and going to the "Temporary State Permit"

New Haven - I am aware of new applicants being flatly refused to even get applications. This has been blamed on the former Chief; but I personally believe it to be a bad case of public relations/customer service on the part of whoever was at the desk that day.

It is not unheard of in cities like Bridgeport and New Haven for the process to take 5 months.

Valley - generally pretty good. Seymour, where my wife used to live before we moved, was good. They have "an application to get an application" process and I believe they run you right then and there, because my wife got a phone call from the Seymour detective handling permits, to pick up her ap - the next day. She had her permit in 3-4 weeks. Naugatuck and Oxford, pretty good - the only problems they have is with smudging finger print cards. I did hear some horror stories about one officer in Naugatuck, but never could substantiate it.

Trumbull - EXCELLENT. Trumbull has the highest number of pistol permit holders (and dues paid NRA members) of ANY city or town in CT. A friend of mine just took the course last month and things are moving smoothly.

I am unaware of specific issues in Eastern Connecticut or the Northwestern corridor of the state.

MrNuke

• Administrator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Go Big or go Home..
Waterbury = Requires 3 character reference letters.
CTGUNTALK.COM CT's Hottest Guns and Firearms, Laws, Range Info, Politics, News and Events Social Site.

jonathangalt

• the best pianist on CTGT
  • Highly Active Member
  • i'm just a gun loving pianist
Greenwich requires 2 letters of reference...i got mine 4 weeks to the day i mailed it in  :)
Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 03:54:44 PM by jonathangalt

ctarborist

Bethany required three letters of reference. Got permit in 17 days.

steve

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
Beacon Falls requires an interview by the First Selectman.

Lugger007

Monroe requires 3 character witness forms. Took 3 almost 4 months to get my permit

Kacela

• Standard Member
Milford requires 3 character reference letters as well - that part was actually the most stressful part of the application process for me.
"Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state."
Article 1, Section 15, Constitution of the State of Connecticut

jlh

Naugatuck - No letters got it in less than a week back in 2000

MrNuke

• Administrator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Go Big or go Home..
Bumping it back up as it's showing some interest.
CTGUNTALK.COM CT's Hottest Guns and Firearms, Laws, Range Info, Politics, News and Events Social Site.

guinness126

Middletown - 3 letters of good character
Took at least a full 10 weeks.